One

"Hello, old friends." Lihleih trailed a finger lovingly across the hilts of the two knives on the table before her. Her voice was no more than a breath of a whisper. "Did you miss me?"

The merchant, seeing her interest, snapped to attention and smiled broadly. "Can I help you, lad?"

"How much?" Lihleih met the merchant's gaze steadily, deepening her voice.

"For you, a bargain. Ten silver marks."

"For the pair?"

"Each."

Lihleih barked a laugh. "Do you take me for a fool?"

The merchant slapped a hand to his chest in mock horror. "Never. But these blades are the finest in the kingdom." He leaned forward, whispering conspiratorially, "I have it from a very good source that they are imbued with a spell. One that will make the wielder invincible."

Lihleih laughed again, withdrawing her hand. "Do not try my patience. Everyone knows there is no such thing as magical spells. Nor invincibility."

The merchant's face became serious. "I swear on the grave of Lord Adhemar. These blades are bewitched."

Lihleih sobered immediately. "Are you out of your mind, old man? Speaking that name is forbidden."

"Meaning you should take me seriously."

"If these blades are actually imbued with the powers you claim, why sell them?"

"I want no truck with items such as these. Items that contain even the slightest hint of magic should only be possessed by those who understand their power."

Lihleih knew the knives were no more magical than the clothes she wore but decided to humor the man. "Does it not scare you to sell them to just anyone? How do you know I will use them for good?"

"I care not who wields them as long as they fetch a price that's fair."

"The price you are asking is not." Lihleih snapped, crossing her arms as her eyes flashed dangerously.

The merchant's lips thinned. "Who are you to dictate to me what is fair and what is not? I paid good money for these blades. But after discovering what they are, I no longer wish to make a fortune off them. I simply want them gone."

"If you paid more than ten silver marks for them, you were robbed."

"And what makes you such an expert on them? You're not much more than a beardless lad." The merchant's gaze sharpened as he inspected her carefully.

"I recognize them." Lihleih did her best to remain unmoved. The merchant didn't need to know how or why she recognized them, just that she was interested. "The only thing that makes them valuable is their reputation."

"And you know of it?"

"I do. I will pay you twelve silver marks for the pair."

"Sixteen."

"Fourteen. Not a mark more."

The merchant chewed his lip. "Fourteen," he grudgingly agreed, holding out his hand.

Lihleih pulled a single mark from her pocket and laid it on the table. "I'll come back for them. Now hide them away until I return."

"Hold them?" the merchant sputtered. "You want me to hold them?"

"Yes. Until I return."

"Absolutely not. The day is early and there's always the chance someone else would be interested."

In a blur of motion, Lihleih's hand was at the merchant's throat. Squeezing tightly, she bought her face within inches of his. "If I return and find you have sold the blades, I will gut you like a fish. But not before I flay you alive with one of your own knives."