Chapter One

After the accident, 22 year old Allie Brooks had no recollection of her time with the boys. She didn't remember the crazy adventures, running from thousands of screaming girls, signing autographs, any of it.

She didn't even remember the one from Doncaster with whom she fell madly in love with. Not the slightest memory of the blue-eyed boy with the bird tattoo, their late night phone calls, numerous dates, or the hundreds of exchanged "I love you"s.

So what happens now?

Allie's POV

I wake with a jolt as the remnants of my recurring dream fade away slowly like a ballon drifting higher and higher in the sky. Only it wasn't actually a dream; It was a memory. I sit up and do the same thing I've done every morning for two months: I play it over again in my head.

Me. Laying in a hospital bed, immense pain covering my body from head to toe and a fuzzy feeling in my brain. I've just found out that I've been in an accident. The doctor said I'm going to be okay but I'll have to stay a while for observation in case there's any  major damage. I'm silently mulling over that information when I hear an unfamiliar voice calling my name.

"Allie!" says the voice, panicked. "Is she awake yet? Is she going to be okay? When can I see her?"

I know the voice is coming from the hallway but I can't tell who it belongs to. I hear my dad reply, "What are you doing here, son? You're not well. You should be in your room."

"I'm fine," says the other voice gruffly. "They can stitch me up later. I just need to know that she's okay. Please, Mr. Brooks. I need to see her."

The voice sounds young, probably about my age: 22. It sounds like a man but it's not quite as low as most male voices.

After a minute my dad sighs,"Of course you can see her."

The next thing I know, there's a person sitting in the chair that's pulled up next to my bed. I'm pretty sure it's a boy. I can tell by his hair and clothes but I can't see his face. It's just a pale blur and the only part I can see clearly are a pair of bright blue eyes looking straight at me.

Of course, in reality, his face wasn't actually a blur with eyes. There was an actual face but I can never remember what it looked like. I can only remember the mesmerizing blue eyes. I close my own eyes and try to remember more but my efforts, as usual, are pointless. No matter how hard I try, I can never seem to get a clear picture of his face. Each time I have this dream, I replay it over and over again, hoping I'll be able to remember something. Anything. I drop my head in my hands and continue the mental playback.

"Allie," the boy sighs in relief but still sounds worried. "Are you okay? Are you in pain?"

I smile politely,"I'm fine, thanks. Umm...I'm sorry but might I ask, who are you?"

No matter how hard I concentrate, this is the other part I can never remember: his name. My mind seems to skip over that part every time I have this dream and it goes to the next scene. I brace myself as the memory rushes over me.

The boy is standing now, sounding frantic when he talks.

"Allie it's me," he says for the hundredth time. He sounds like he's crying. "You have to remember me. You need to! Please. I need you, I need you to remember me."

He sinks into the chair again, slumped in defeat and I say,"I'm sorry but I have no idea who you are. I wish I could help you. I wish I could remember. I'm trying but I just can't."

He reaches for my hand and squeezes it lightly,"Please remember."

"I can't," I whisper. "I'm sorry."

Then my dad rushes in with a nurse. He puts a hand on the boys shoulder and says quietly,"I think you need to leave, son. I'll talk to you later."

The boy gets up and walks to the door but as he reaches it, he turns his head to look at me. His eyes seem to take in the sight before them as if it's the last time they'll ever see me. Then he turns out of sight and I start sobbing.

I let out a long sigh and open my eyes. It's been two months since I woke up in the hospital and in that time I've learned a lot. First, that I was in a serious car accident. I was driving back to my apartment from somewhere one night when I was hit head-on by a drunk driver. Second, that my brain sustained some damage thaat caused strange results. The doctors told me that I lost my memory but not in the way people usually do. I remember everything up to about ten or eleven months ago when I was on my way to the mall. I remember walking into the mall and thinking it was unusually crowded. After that...nothing. Third, the doctors told me that it is possible to regain the memories I lost, although they don't know how. They said I may remember on my own or that something might trigger the memories. They also said that if my memories do come back, they'll either come back slowly or all at once.

I sure hope I remember soon. It's getting harder and harder to bear the worried glances that my parents costantly send my way. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, my parents insisted that one of them be with me all hours of the day. They're worried that I'm going to have some sort of psychotic break and freak out or that my memory will get worse and blah blah blah. They seem to only imagine the worst possible scenarios. Despite my constant reassurances that I'm feeling just fine, they insisted that I sell my apartment and move back in with them but I told them that I already felt helpless enough and wanted to feel like I could at least manage my own home. Therefore, we made a deal and now my mom is staying in my guest room. How cool am I?

It does't matter, though. I have a plan and, despite my dream/memory, today feels like an extra special day.