eighteen

⋆ eighteen ⋆

⋆ eighteen ⋆

He's running a bit late.

Peter said he'd be early to Lily's press conference to give her moral support, but – per usual – he's running late. It doesn't stop him from running a little faster down the sidewalk, ignoring the complaints and surprised noises from passers-by.

He could always pull out the suit and swing, but if someone catches sight (and takes a picture) of Spider-Man heading to Lily Osborn's conference, it won't exactly help the old rumours from when he saved her from the press that one time. Not to mention Lily would hate it.

He skids to a stop. Freezes. Slowly turns around.

Peter knows he's running late. He wanted to be there a couple of hours early to help her prepare, but that's not going to happen.

Even then, his eyes stay on the pharmacy before he heads in, wandering the aisles before heading over to the counter. "Hi. Do you sell eye drops?"

At Lily's last interview, Peter noticed the slight squinting of her eyes at all the flashing lights and cameras, and with how this one is much bigger, she's going to need something to help. Otherwise she'll end up putting on a cold eye mask for two hours afterwards again to cool her red eyes.

The receptionist passes one over, but just as Peter reaches for his pocket for his cash, he pauses, remembering. "Ah. Are these compatible with contact lenses?"

By the time Peter meets JJ outside one of the back rooms, Jesse's shoulders sag in relief. Before Peter can even get a word out, he's talking. "Good you finally came. I'm in desperate need of a coffee, Lily stayed in the office till late last night practicing. She's having a power nap inside. Wake her up in a couple of minutes and tell her to get ready, she has half an hour."

With that, he runs off, leaving an extremely confused Peter Parker behind. Nevertheless, he heads in quietly, only to catch sight of Lily leaning her arm on the table, head resting on it.

The slightest smile forms on Peter's face, going softer as he goes over and pulls a chair beside her. He sits down, mirroring her position, and just stares. Stares at her face, the delicate curve of her eyebrows, her long, scattered eyelashes. Even the small puddle of drool collecting on her arm makes him happy, the quiet laugh slipping past his lips.

The sound is what makes her wake up. Her eyes slowly flicker open, meeting his almost instantly, but they just watch each other for a moment. The air feels still, and the silence doesn't break. And slowly, Lily's own smile matches his.

"Hey," she whispers.

"Hey, yourself," he mumbles back, slightly amused. "Had a nice sleep?"

"Had a nice awakening, too."

"Oh, really?"

"Mhm. The guy I like was staring at me like I was the most beautiful girl in the world."