(C) crime | no consequence

No consequence.

I scoffed as I listened to the radio announcement. As if the authorities would suddenly just give up.

A piercing ringing noise startled me, and I quickly picked up the small phone. "Hello?"

"Max? Did you hear the announcement?"

"Of course I did, Josh. You're telling me you believe it?" Unknown to my best friend, I rolled my eyes. He was so gullible.

"No, really, it's true. I'm in the supermarket and just saw someone leave without paying for anything in their massive cart, and there wasn't even an alarm!"

Again, I scoffed. "Why are you in the supermarket? It's eight a.m.! Anyway, the alarm was probably faulty or something. Josh, it's a jok-"

"I don't care! I'm stealing every single piece of candy in my sight, and nobody's gonna stop me!" With that, he hung up.

I groaned. Way too gullible.

My phone vibrated as an email popped up. An official one.

Those events still had no consequences, it seemed.

Ignoring the email, I shoved my phone into my pocket and headed outside.

Through the small crowd, little snippets of conversation became audible.

"You think it's true?"

"No consequences. Imagine what we can do with that!"

"Does that mean free food?"

"I don't think we should believe it yet."

It was the talk of the town. Actually, it was more likely the talk of the country.

Whoever had decided this would be an amusing prank had put in the effort. Multiple posters were up, with large, bold letters. "NO CONSEQUENCE!"

Catching sight of the sandwich shop that was my morning haven, I quickly went inside.

I smiled as I saw Holly, the pretty much full-time worker who went out of her way to always be nice to me. She asked, "The usual?"

"Yes, please." 

She gave me my ham and cheese sandwich - a classic, but a nice one - and I handed her the money. She looked surprised. "You haven't seen the 'no consequence' posters?"

"I've seen them, but I don't know if I believe them."

"That's sensible for now," she agreed. 

Taking a large bite of my sandwich, I waved and exited.

Somehow, the conversation had changed since my attempt at routine.

"Did you hear about that challenge?"

"I wonder if I can make people believe that I robbed a bank. After all, there's no consequence."

"What about you?"

What challenge were they talking about? I pulled my phone out and went onto the news.

"As Sherlock Holmes once said, 'What you do in this world is a matter of no consequence. The question is what can you make people believe you have done?' We look forward to seeing what crazy ideas you come up with!"

What?

I don't know what exactly that question was aimed at, but I got distracted as the abnormally-shrill ringtone sounded, making me jump and many people shoot annoyed looks at me. "Sorry," I mouthed, before answering the phone. "Hello?"