CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"How are you doing?" Dad asks while pouring loads of creamer into his coffee

"How are you doing?" Dad asks while pouring loads of creamer into his coffee. There are four more empty packages off to the side.

The diner is vacant, and the waitress is spraying the counter for the fifth time after she made her rounds to us and two men at opposite ends of the bar. The spot she's been erratically wiping down is also a spot nearest one of the men, which I assume is either her boyfriend or her side business.

The way the man looks at her is amorous and doting all at once. His eyes sparkle when he looks at her, and his smile is genuine and romantic.

The way she looks at him is different. Opportune glistens through her razor-sharp teeth, and her eyes lock forward in a dream. Her smile is calculated and hazy.

He wants the utmost loyalty and love.

She wants a knight in shining armour and security.

"I'm alright, trying to get through school," I say casually. "I didn't know how difficult remote learning would be. I don't have a set schedule, and sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm in school at all." I'm still staring blankly at Dad's mug, in a trance. I'm responding, but it feels more like automatic speaking.

"It's weird not getting out and seeing other people. I feel trapped at home, and my only company is Mom."

"Maybe you should join a club. I thought you were taking up yoga like your therapist suggested. What happened to that?"

I'm snapped out of my haze with this question and laugh at his response. "Yeah, I'm not doing that anymore."

Dad laughs and gestures the waitress over to take our order, but she's too busy wiping away at the counter and batting her eyelashes at her man to notice.

"How's your mom doing? Still the same old? Out at bars and whatnot?"

"Yep," I respond and don't give him a second longer to question anything more. I don't have it in me today to get into the mess that is Mom.

I haven't been able to muster up the courage to tell him about Mom or really explain to him in detail about all the horrible shit going on at home right now. Beyond the things I know now and the questionable things I've picked up over the years— Like the creased-damaged pictures or the folded letters she penned to confess her truths; it all adds up.

"Why do you have that sad look on your face today? Not that you ever look super happy or anything; that's why you're my daughter, but you're not quite yourself."

I never look super happy?

I divert the conversation away from Mom and go into another big issue that's bothering me. "John's been ignoring me."

As much turmoil and grief Dad showing up out of nowhere has brought me, it's also been very touching.

He listens to me about how hard school has been for me and about John. He even lets me bitch and complain about Declan, which is nice because I'm sure everyone else in my life is tired of my bitching about Declan. We basically share one life and know all the same people. Not even Alyssa or Tucker have bothered to check in on me once since I left school. It's nice to have someone—other than Meera—who lets me talk about these things and cares about me enough to make an effort.