▸ THIRTY SIX ◂

You finally arrive at the main building, and hastily make your way to the sending station where you assumed Miguel would have followed Miles. However, when you arrived, it was definitely quiet. 

You were so used to the building full of spiders alike, and there was never a moment of quiet. But it was empty, you could hear your pants and footsteps echo as you hurriedly moved deeper and searched for Margo.

You weren't sure if Miguel was already there, so you quickly dashed down the large hallway until you could see your destination in the distance. But the more you drew closer, the more commotion you saw.

"What's happening?" Lyla cries out to Margo, who looks pretty panicked.

"The machine activated on its own!" Margo swings around to many different screens at once.

"How is that possible?" Lyla pulled up codes of her own, inspecting them hurriedly.

Margo rolls her eyes, "It isn't!"

As you approach the room, you see the large robotic spider from above inspecting something in the center, and immediately you know it is Miles in his invisibility form.

"It's not possible for the accelerator protocol to engage without entering a sequence key," Margo argues to Lyla.

Lyla was oddly confused, "Okay, which . . . ?"

"Which it's doing right now-!" Margo says frustratingly.

The spider began connecting the webs around Miles to create the portal, and their arguing was distracting them from deactivating the system. The robot was working fast, and the room brightened with the portal's patterns.

"Girls! Concentré! " You swing yourself over to them, hastily peering over one of Margo's clones working on a computer. (Focus!)

"Okay, okay, how 'bout this?" Lyla messes with Margo's work, getting in her way.

"No-no-no-no!" Margo swats Lyla's small body away.

Lyla's screens multiply as she comes up with more solutions, "Hey, how about now?"

"You're getting in the way!" Margo groans, rushing to another device.

You pinch Lyla's coat and drag her away, giving her a stern look. Glancing back to the robot, you're barely able to see the outline of Miles' figure standing in the middle of the progressing portal. But the harder you stared, the more of the headache you got.

Various alarms from the systems echoed around the room, adding to the pressure. You look over and notice Margo is now aware of Miles as she intensely stares at the portal. Before you can confront her, you feel the hairs on your back stand up, and your head is pulled toward the direction of the entrance. 

Miguel comes tumbling into the room, his features twisted in pure rage as his voice thunders throughout the room, "STOP HIM! NOW!"

Margo throws her arms in the air, "Man, what does it look like I'm trying to do?"

Miguel's suit was in working order, which explains why he arrived much later than you. Large spikes extended from his forearms as he launched onto the nearly finished portal protecting Miles. He dug into the portal, trying to rip through and stop the procedure by pure force.

You faintly see Miles struck with fear as Miguel thrashes against the brightly colored lasers, punching and clawing at the field. Moments later, Miles' invisibility wore off and he stood in all his glory watching Miguel trying to rip the force apart.

"Do something!" Miguel grits, doing his best to get a good grip on the forming portal. "Now!"

Gwen and Peter arrive at the scene, calling out for Miguel, "Miguel! Stop!"