Chapter 11: Baby Debut

Briana's heart freshly quailed, when she saw a forest of women and men's suits – at least until she spotted her aunt. Kiara stood out among the crowd in every possible way, from her height, to her black skin, to the startling white dress she was wearing off the shoulder. She favored clothes that showed off her powerful shoulders. If it was for intimidation or pride, either way she was projecting a confident air that had the room captivated.

Though all eyes were on Kiara, Briana's aunt wasn't merely basking in the attention. She caught the Little girl's arrival as soon as she stepped into the country club's conference room and turned to her with a big smile.

"Briana!" Long strides put Kiara in hugging range within moments. Briana found herself hugged with as much enthusiasm as her aunt showed at home. "I see Emeline didn't have to coach you on your dress, I like your choice of outfit."

"Grandma picked it for me, actually – but how did you know Emeline didn't?"

"Because your aunt knows that even if I can appreciate your skirt, I would never have chosen it," Emeline said.

"It's perfect. I'm sure you would have had words with your grandmother if she'd picked something you hated." Kiara grinned. "Now, come meet the politicians."

Briana had only enough time to plant a somewhat genuine smile on her face before she found herself in the thick of faked enthusiasm. Being barely five feet tall had often made people mistake Briana for a younger woman than she was, but she felt downright childish among so many officious strangers. Briana found herself dumbstruck, but luckily her aunt was already barreling ahead with an introduction.

"I'd like to introduce a new addition to the Rasmussen family. This is my niece, Miss Briana Tess Rasmussen." Kiara put as much real gravitas on Briana's name as Briana put on pretend airs when she referred to herself as a Cloudland Princess.

Maybe that's the best way to deal with this, Princess Briana doesn't get nervous talking in front of crowds. That the crowds in question were made up of stuffies was a factor she could ignore for a minute of pretend. Briana straightened her spine and managed a clear tone of voice.

"Pleased to meet you all."

"That would make you Veronica's daughter?" A blonde White woman with gray streaks in her hair held her hand out to Briana. "Carissa Sharatt, City Manager."

Briana shook the offered hand, which set off a wave of handshakes and individual introductions that quickly became a blur. The only other politician to stand out was the one who didn't offer a handshake, merely holding her hand up in a tepid wave.

"Lorraine Bolinger, Planning Board Chair." She was a White woman in the most severe suit of the bunch. Her black and charcoal color scheme matched the steely expression on her face. The only flash of color on her at all was the gold cross pendant resting prominently on her gray blouse.

"Now that my niece and assistant are here, shall we talk business?" Kiara motioned and the mass of people moved.

Politicians clustered around the oak conference table that gleamed in dark contrast to the cream colored carpet. The room was open and airy, with a fifteen foot ceiling that boasted exposed beams of polished birch. There were several expensive looking chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, and the exterior wall was all window. Though the sun was setting, the room still offered a spectacular view of the club's attached golf course. Briana stuck close to Kiara and sat at her aunt's right hand as directed. The room's opulence would have been intimidating – had she not spent a few nights at Vakhaven. It's nice, but it's nothing compared to the Green Dining Room at Grandma's – at Kiara's house. And that's not even the fanciest room.