PART ONE.

I have been seated for over thirty minutes chewing on the cover of my pen in boredom, I looked around to see other students looking at the booklet before them either in confusion or in frustration while I have finished mine and waiting for someone to go submit before me.

It seems like yesterday, the day I got admitted into the University of Ilorin, Nigeria and now I am here with a finished filled answer sheet of my final year examination, thinking about my journey as a sixteen-year-old in the university as a new student and now I am twenty and already becoming a graduate of mass communication and a first-class student.

Finally realizing no one is through yet I stood up to submit my paper
“I was starting to think you will grow older before deciding to submit,” Professor Adams said with a smug look on him.

“I decided to go out of this school while I am still young and agile even when I know you will miss me,” I responded with a smile on my lips.

Professor Adams is one of my favorite lecturers in the school and he treats me like his own child also a good friend of my father, I love teasing him and he responds greatly with frustration. I can be troublesome and I know it.

“I will be relieved young lady, I won’t miss you a bit,” He replied also wearing a smile to match mine.

“I love your shirt by the way Professor and you know where I live, you are always welcome to visit,” I teased knowing how much he hates the shirt but his wife got it for him and he loves her, which is why he tolerates the shirt.

“Really Lola?” He looked at me with a knowing look on his face. I laughed at him while he looked at me with a small smile dancing on his lips.

“You can make your way out, Miss Daniels,” He requested pointing at the closed door.

“Goodbye Professor Adams, extend my greetings to the family,” I said to him as I walked out of the lecture room.

The walkway is less crowded probably from the fact that all lecture theatres situated along the walkway are occupied by final-year students who are still taking their exams, and the few students who are through are seated on the seat built in the walkway for recess. I walked down to check if any of my friends are out but none is yet.

My name is Lola Daniels, I am twenty years old, a Nigerian, and from Lagos state also based in Lagos state, I am fair-skinned and slim also for a Nigerian my hair is very long and full but it’s golden brown and a beautiful grey colored eyes which makes some people refer to me as an outcast, some say it’s a birth defect but my optician says nothing is wrong with it, I have a birthmark on my shoulder it looks like a half heart.

I am the only daughter in my house with one elder who is a barrister and one younger brother who is studying to be an engineer, my parents are famous all over the country Dad is the minister of petroleum in the country while mom is a renounced general surgeon who is good at what she does.

I have three best friends and they are the only friends I have; David is my best male friend for sixteen years we became friends in nursery school and since then we’ve been close, Mira and Linda joined the circle in university, they are foreign exchange students who came from the United States to study here, I don’t know why they chose this country and this school but I am glad they did, they also stay in Lagos the minister of foreign affairs as their guidance. We are all in our final year and taking our final exams.