Chapter 6

His bed was king sized with puffy sheets and many pillows. He definitely wanted comfort in his bed. The room was pretty small and the bed took most of the space. On both sides of the bed there were night stands. They had books on them and one had a candle on top of the pile of books.

I couldn't help but get curious what he reads. "The city of storms and magic", "The dream of fire and elves", "Magical knight" , "How to cook in the wild", "How to cook for absolute beginners, who haven't touched a knife". I'm guessing the 3rd book wasn't so helpful so he got the 4th one. I laid on the bed and opened the last book.

He was taking notes while cooking. "Measure the meal and the oven before trying to get it inside." , "Don't touch anything that just came out of the oven" , "Don't touch your eyes when cutting onions". This note was a little wet with tear drops. I laugh and think:
- He definitely had some fun cooking.

At least he has his dad here to help with that. I put the book down and blowed the candle.

It wasn't as dark as I thought it'd be. Actually he had a big window and the moon light was shining through. I could see everything in the room. I see some equipment for hunting and his wardrobe. The doors on the wardrobe were broken and I saw he had not so many clothes. I'm guessing it's just as much as he needs. As I was looking around the room my eyes started closing slowly and soon I was fast asleep.

I was awaken by some stomping. Someone was carrying things around and I could hear it from the hall. The sun was rising and everyone was already wide awake and working. I pretended I was asleep, I was too tired to get up and do anything at all. I closed my eyes again and hugged on the pillow. Then I hear a knock on the door. Ugh. Hunter's voice starts:
- Knock knock.
- Who's there? - I start the knock knock joke.
- Hunter. - He continues along.
- Hunter who?
- Hunter I'm waiting for you, because breakfast is ready.

I hear him laugh from the other side of the door and I giggle too. I get up, fix my hair a little bit and leave his room. He was waiting for me in the hall and he looked excited to go in the forest. I tried to eat fast because I saw how much he wants to leave as soon as possible and see the forest. He had woken up so early and prepared everything for our hike. He had a backpack full of things we might need as well as food and water.

I said bye to his dad and we left. As we were walking I thought about the books and the notes he took and I decided I should ask him.
- By the way, I noticed you like reading.
- I do it before bed. It helps me fall asleep. - he said.
- Are you trying to learn how to cook? I saw a few books for cooking.
- Still unsuccessful. I know how, but I can't put it to practice. I feel like I have a fear of the kitchen.
- I saw your notes. - I almost laughed thinking about the one that said "Don't touch your eyes when cutting onions" and then it had tear drops on the paper.
- Oh no, I'm sorry for what you saw. I genuinely don't understand cooking at all.
- Sometimes I cook. I could tell you some of my tips that helped me while cooking. But first you have to get used to the idea that it's not scary and you have things under control.
- You make it sound easy. - he laughs.

The hours passed imperceptibly. We talked about our accidents in the kitchen and some funny stories of how we panicked over little things while cooking.

He cut all the branches that were in our way because the path wasn't used frequently so they grew. After a while I started to recognize the path. These were places where I used to pause for a moment and rest. We even saw a little rabbit and watched it eat a carrot it found somewhere.

I noticed a familiar path. It's the one we use to go on walks.
- Look! I know the trail from here.

It was silent and when I looked back he was gone. It seemed like he had vanished and I couldn't even thank him for everything. I looked everywhere and he wasn't anywhere I could see so I just continued my walk to the castle.

I see it in the distance. Home. And I wasn't actually looking at the palace. I was looking at the garden that you could get lost at. I know I finally reached my destination but I felt like I wanted some more time alone even though everyone was looking for me. I looked around and I entered the garden unnoticed. I walked on the cobbled path smelling the flowers and watering them. I got my peaceful moment.

Then Axel saw me.
- Josephine!
He ran towards me and hugged me tight.
- What happened? We've been searching for you since that deer made a weird noise in the forest. We couldn't find you anywhere. We were so worried about you.
- Don't worry, I'm completely fine. A man named Hunter found me and he let me stay the night at his house then helped me find my way out of the forest.
- A house in the woods? I've only seen one that's been abandoned like 40 years ago. I've heard rumors that a young boy and a dad had died there and no one knew why. Recently I came across it and the roof had collapsed.
- What? No, it was like brand new.

Were they...roaming souls?...