Chapter 10

The sound of music playing in the background and the sight of Jonah in front of me brings a smile to my face

The sound of music playing in the background and the sight of Jonah in front of me brings a smile to my face. "Congratulations Son. Me and your mother are proud of you." A familiar voice says. My eyes fall on Stefano and Gianna. Jonah's parents. Jonah gives them a smile.

"My parents were invited too right? I haven't seen them anywhere." I ask Jonah. Gianna turns towards me, "They left after you both said your vows. Your mother insisted they should stay a while longer but your father seemed to be in a hurry." She looks at me with sad eyes.

My chest is beginning to hurt. How could they just give me away to someone and then not even stay for my wedding? "Oh you poor thing. Don't worry you're a Santoro now. We're going to take good care of you honey. You didn't marry a nobody. Jonah is running the most powerful maf-" Jonah cuts in, "We still have to go greet some guests, go enjoy yourselves." His father gives him a look. Am I missing something?

"Non gliel'hai ancora detto?" (You haven't told her yet?) Stefano speaks to Jonah in Italian. I look at Jonah confused, hoping he'll translate. He looks at his father and shakes his head before wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Come on there are some guests I think you want to see right now." Jonah says looking down at me.

We begin to walk away and stop behind a couple choosing desserts and treats. "Kilo." Jonah says, and they both turn around to face us. "Jasmine! Oh my gosh." I say as I rush for a hug. "I can't believe you're here."

"I am. And I was fighting Jonah to be the Maid of Honor." She says glaring at Jonah. "He said everything was really crammed together and he still needed to plan more stuff so I understood there probably just wasn't enough time to worry about that. But everything looks good." Jasmine says as she scans the place.

"I know, I only found out about the wedding two days ago, but I'm impressed by how everything turned out. I wasn't expecting a lot of people to be here. I thought it would just be a small thing between our families.." I say to Jasmine.

Kilo and Jonah finish their little conversation and turn back to us. "Why don't we take a stroll outside?" Jonah asks me. I look at Jasmine and see that she's talking to Kilo now, "Okay." I nod.

We walk outside, my arm linked to his. There's a big fountain beside us. The sound of the water is calming.

"I know it couldn't have been easy on you..this whole arrangement, and your father leaving.." He says, his eyes searching mine. I take a deep breath. "It wasn't, but I shouldn't have expected him to stay. I had a feeling he wanted to find a fast way to get rid of me. Ever since his business got successful, he only cared about money. This whole arrangement is all I'm worth to him." I say softly. It feels weird to speak so freely to somebody other than Jasmine, and this is something I haven't even told her before.