Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Harry's day was, for lack of a better word, perfect.

The morning passed easily with lazy loops around enchanted trees as Harry explored the room. It went on for quite some distance, appearing even larger than when they had brought the DA's practice room into existence. The little enchanted butterflies weren't the only animals around either, there were squirrels in a myriad of shades and sizes, and even a blue faun with bright pink spots.

He spent some time stretched across his broom on his back, simply floating on the magical breeze while cloud gazing. It was exactly what he had wanted. Better even, since he didn't need to fear prying eyes or bad weather.

When lunch rolled around Alphard did in fact come to check on him, but instead of trying to lure Harry out of the enchanted room and down to the Great Hall, Alphard had packed them up a lunch of sandwiches, fruit, and a bottle of pumpkin juice. After a hasty lunch he pulled out his own broom and the two of them passed the afternoon chasing after magical butterflies and a few crab apples that Alphard enchanted to fly like snitches.

They decided to go down for dinner, Alphard's ease with conversation pulling in those around them. For the first time since arriving Harry actually joined in on the dinner conversation, mostly just talk of what everyone had done that day, Alphard quickly coming up with a story of showing Harry around the castle, and getting lost in a few abandoned rooms in the east wing. Harry had only nodded along. Of course Alphard knew that Tom had made the room, it seemed that the Room of Requirements was a secret to most of the House, but not to everyone.

The air around them was light, carefree. Alphard kept up his playful banter with those of their year all the way back to the dorms, where Harry excused himself from their company, to a few mild protests and a pout from Alphard. But Harry had had enough of socializing for the day.

He spent the rest of the evening soaking in one of the giant baths, large blue bubbled bouncing around him happily. They smelled like fresh blueberries and marshmallows and they didn't lose their size or bounce until they were sucked down the drain hours later.

Yes, the day had turned out to be absolutely perfect.

And if Harry was still sleeping fitfully, if he still found himself waking in the night without remembering when his eyes had even opened. Well, then, at least it all comes with peace of mind. A feeling a safety. It's not so bad, spending the nights mostly awake. Not when he doesn't have to fear what might be lurking in the dark.

Besides, it'll get better in time.

He's sure it will.

~~~

Tom Marvolo Riddle had taken complete and utter control over every aspect of his life by the age of twelve. Though he only had the observations of his peers and the memoirs of other powerful wizards to go by, but Tom was rather certain he was the only person in history to have achieved such a fete at such a young age.

So why, by Merlin's Mangy Beard, could he not sleep!

Tom had conquered sleep years ago. The senseless fears of a scared and lonely child had melted quickly upon discovering magic. Once he'd known that mastery over his person was an attainable goal, he had dedicated himself to it and won. All he needed to do was lie down, close his eyes, and sleep came to him. Dreamless sleep. Sleep that was over in the blink of an eye. It was bad enough that Tom's body needed to rest so for long on a daily basis, he could at least make it seem as though it passed quickly.

Even after completing the Horcrux ritual he was still in complete control of body and thus his sleep. Things had only begun to change when he'd returned to Hogwarts. It was ridiculous to blame it on Harry...who looked as though he'd rather spend his days having tea with woodland fairies than causing anyone trouble. Yet he couldn't ignore that this all began after he came into Tom's life.