25. I Drive a Helicopter

Adira

Here's my definition of not fun. Fly a pegasus toward an out-of-control helicopter. If Freedom hadn't been a good controlled pegasus, we would've confetti.

I could hear Rachel screaming inside. For some reason, she hadn't fallen asleep, but I could see the
pilot slumped over the controls, pitching back and forth as the helicopter wobbled toward the side of an office building.

"Ideas?" Percy asked me.

"You're going to have to take Freedom and get out," I said.

"What are you going to do?"

In response, I said, "Hyah!" and Freedom went into a nosedive.

"Duck!" I yelled.

We passed so close to the rotors I felt the force of the blades ripping at my hair. We zipped along the side of the helicopter, and I grabbed the door.

That's when things went wrong.

Guido's wing slammed against the helicopter. He plummeted straight down with Percy on his back,
leaving me dangling from the side of the aircraft. I was so terrified I could barely think, but I helped Rachel pull me inside.

"Holy shit! Adi, wow, oh my gods!"

I didn't reply, stumbling my way to the front of the helicopter. A few seconds from slamming into a building.

I pushed the pilot out of the way, laying him down on the ground. I sat in the pilot's seat. "Okay, Adi," I said aloud. "What did Cassie say about driving helicopters? Trust your instincts?"

I began flipping a few buttons, and then pulled up on the drive-throttle in front of me.

Then miraculously the helicopter righted itself. It spun in a circle and hovered. Very slowly, it began
to descend at my command.

It seemed to take forever, but finally the helicopter thudded to a landing in the middle of Fifth
Avenue. As soon as we landed, I threw my head back into the seat. "Holy shizzballs," I breathed out. Rachel popped into the front, and gave me a hug. "Now that... was awesome, Adi!"

"Thanks, Rach. But, we have to get this pilot to safety."

She saluted, grabbing his arms and dragging him out.

I then realized Rachel was still dressed like she was on vacation, in beach shorts, a T-shirt, and sandals. Her hair was tangled and her face was green from the helicopter ride.

I climbed out last.

Percy stared at me in awe. Annabeth smacked her lips together, like this was expected. "I didn't know you could fly a helicopter," Percy said.

"Neither did I," I said. "My mom's crazy into aviation."

"You saved my life," Rachel said to me.

I flexed my bad shoulder. "Yeah, well . . . let's not make a habit of it. What are you doing here, Dare? Don't you know better than to fly into a war zone?"

"I—" Rachel glanced at me. "I had to be here. I knew Percy was in trouble."

"Got that right," Annabeth grumbled. "Well, if you'll excuse me, I have some injured friends I've got
to tend to. Glad you could stop by, Rachel."

"Annie—" I called.

She stormed off.

Rachel plopped down on the curb and put her head in her hands. "I'm sorry, Adi. I didn't mean to. I always mess things up."

It was kind of hard to argue with her, though I was glad she was safe. I looked in the direction Annabeth had gone, but she'd disappeared into the crowd.