One.

It had been a week.

The whole capital was gloomy. Its citizens could only talk about one thing: Who murdered the Emperor?

Many feared that the downfall of the kingdom had started.

The main suspect seemed to be Prince Ilamaran of the neighbouring kingdom. Just four days before his death, Emperor Vaagaisoodi returned to the palace after successfully waging a war against their kingdom. It was rumoured that Ilamaran was spared.

In stark contrast to the noisy inhabitants of the capital, the palace remained in complete silence. The empress dowager refused to come out of her room and mourned the loss of her husband alone.

In the palace gardens stood a stone mandapam. Paavai sat inside it with a distant look in her eyes.

"En Veeranganai!"

She remembered his words fondly. Vaagaisoodi had said that right after she defeated him for the first time in a sword fight.

She heard footsteps. Agavan stepped inside and sat beside her.

"Agava, what happened at yesterday's meeting?"

"The ministers said that they have decided the date for my coronation."

After what seemed like a long time, Agavan finally saw a small smile emerge on Paavai's face. "I'm sure you'll be the best king this land has ever seen."

"No." He argued. "I know how to fight, but not to rule, Akka. I act in haste, can't think straight when I'm angry and so on."

"Well, you know your weaknesses! Work on it." She advised. "I'm scared. I don't want to ascend the throne. I said my Akka would be better suited for it." He replied.

"And you thought they would agree just like that? I'm a woman, Agava. They wouldn't give the throne to me."

"Haven't you heard of Meenatchi Amman?"

"She was divine, and I'm not. You and I can't change the customs easily."

Agavan sighed. "Don't fret. You'll be a good king. The prime minister, Amma, and I will help you whenever needed." She reassured him.

"Him? The Prime Minister is... Wait. Akka, who's that?" Agavan asked. Paavai turned.

A handsome young man approached them. He pushed back his wavy hair and folded his palms.

"Ilavarasan Agavan. I hope that the cut my sword inflicted on you has improved. And this must be Ilavarasi Paavai. Nice to meet you." He said it warmly. "Who are you?" Paavai asked. Agavan looked disgruntled upon recognising him.

"I'm Ilavar- No. Just Ilamaran, as you all have conquered my kingdom. I'm a nobody now. I'm here on the orders of Emperor Vaagaisoodi, who has appointed me as a Vaidiyan here. Here's my muthirai modhiram and the olai your father sent me." He explained and handed them a palm leaf and a ring.

Paavai read the olai. It was undoubtedly her father's handwriting.

"This does not count." She said it firmly.

"And why is that? Let me meet the Chakravarthi directly. The guards told me to come here; I assume he'll be strolling around here somewhere."

"He is the Chakravarthi now," Paavai said, keeping a hand on Agavan's shoulder.

"What do you mean? Oh..." The realisation dawned on his face. "He'll be safe in God's hands. Grieving someone's loss doesn't mean they'll come back again. We have something in common now."

"What I meant to say was that some of the former king's orders cannot be followed anymore. So you can go back to your kingdom now." She said it coldly.

"Kingdom? Will you give it back to me?"

"I-"

"Leave that. Do you want to dishonour your father's words? Was this why I was spared and humiliated on the battlefield?"

"You honestly th-" Started Agavan but stopped when Paavai raised her hand. "He's right, Agavan. You can work here. But we'll keep a close eye on you."

"Thank you," Ilamaran said, looking triumphant.

"But Akka!" Protested Agavan, "He's our enemy!"

"I know what is right and what is not."

"I'm the king-to-be."

"I'm the elder one."

He shot a furious look at both of them before storming off.

"This is in exchange for some information, Vaidhiyare."

"I'm sorry, Ilavarasiyare. Can I rest now? It has been a long and painful journey."

Paavai gave a swift nod. Ilamaran smiled and started to walk off.

"Your muthirai modhiram! Don't you want it back?"

"It is useless to a prince without a kingdom." He replied without looking back.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:

Glossary:

Mandapam- Hall 

Veeranganai- Warrioress

Olai- Palm leaf letter

Chakravarthi- King/Emperor

Muthirai Modhiram- Signet ring

Vaidhiyan- Doctor

Ilavarasi- Princess

Ilavarasan- Prince

*✧・゚: *✧・゚: