Solitude

I walked down the streets of New York to the cinema where I promised to go watch a movie with Stevie, but I was already late to the movie. I bet the motion picture was already almost through by now. But, I didn't care, so long as I get to spend time with my boys, so I continue walking to the theater.

I was busy finishing up some propaganda for the war and enlisting all while working with Howard Stark in his lab/office. I was so caught up in the job that I forgot about the time I was supposed to be spending with Stevie and Bucky.

Luckily, I made it to the theater in time enough to watch the tail end of the movie. I quickly found Steve and sat next to him.

Ekho: I'm sorry I'm late, Stevie. I got a bit carried away with work.

Steve: It's okay. The movies not to good anyway.

Ekho: What's it about?

Steve: Just war. Nothing we haven't seen before.

Ekho: Have you seen Bucky today?

Steve: No. I think he's doing some things for the war. I might see him later today though.

Ekho: Okay. That's good.

Person: Hey! Shut up! We're tryna watch a movie here.

We both quiet down and watch the last bit of the movie. When it was over Steve and I walk out, but not before getting cornered by some punks in an alleyway.

Punk 1: Were you the two talking up a storm in the theater?

Ekho: Yeah. We apologize about that. It won't happen again, Johnny.

Johnny: Damn right it won't, mulato.

He starts to crack his knuckles and walks slowly towards us. That's when his fist connects with my face and my head snaps to the right. A curse escapes my lips as blood stains my teeth. I looks back up at the group of thugs and see that one is already punching Steve. I look back at Johnny and start to throw my own punches. Unfortunately, one of his punches connects with my eye and leaves a sharp pain in its wake.

That's what made me mad and I throw one last punch at him that leaves him snoring on the ground. I look back at Steve and the other guy but to my surprise, Bucky was already there beating up the guy and sending him home squealing.

Bucky: Sometimes I think you like getting punched.

Steve: I had him on the ropes.

Bucky: How many times was this?

Bucky looks at the ground and picks up a piece of paper and opens it.

Bucky: Oh, so your from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?

Steve: You get your orders? 

Bucky: The 107. The Sergeant James Barnes shipping out for England first thing tomorrow.

Steve: We should get going, Snow and I.

Then Bucky looks at me and wraps each arm around each of our shoulders and laughs. A sweet sound flooding my ears.

Bucky: Come on guys. It's my last night here. Now let's get you guys cleaned up.

Ekho: Why? Where are we going?

He hands me a news paper with the cover of the 'World Exposition of Tomorrow.' It was something that Stark had planned for months. And I was his opening scene. I had to be there unless I wanted my understudy to take my spot.

Bucky: We're going to the future.

Ekho: The thing Stark has planned? I actually have to be there a bit earlier to help him set things up for him. But, I'll see you guys there, yeah?

Bucky: Well, I doubt he'll let you on stage with that black eye.

I completely forgot about the pain around my eye and I subconsciously touch at it, feeling the tenderness of the sore, as a wave of sadness washed over me.

Ekho: It's alright. I won't have to be on stage. I just need to set things up and my understudy will cover for me.

Bucky: I'm sorry. I know you wanted this. Maybe next time.

Ekho: It's okay. It's not like I've been waiting for this for the past year... I'll be fine, though. I hope.

We all walk down the sidewalk towards the World Exposition. There were so many times that I wanted to opt out and go home to eat bon bons and listen to the radio. But, I can't show weakness now. Women, in a world like this can't always get what they want. This is a man's world.

Bucky: Are you alright, Snow?

Ekho: Yeah, why?

Bucky: You've been quiet since we walked out the alley. Are you sure you're okay?

Ekho: Yeah, just thinking about weather or not I should withdraw my enlistment form. I know they would never let a woman go to war.

Bucky: You should do what ever the hell you want. You have to make your own way in the world. Don't let anyone do it for you.

Ekho: I know. I'm used to being told no. But, I want to serve my country.

Bucky: Well, some people would say that you're not even from this country. Considering the fact that your half African American.

Ekho: No shit, Sherlock. And it's even worse that I have white hair.

Steve: You have white hair?! 

He mocks surprise and we all laugh. I had to hide my true hair color since I was young so I had to find some wigs to hide my hair in public. It irritated me trying to put something on and leave it in all day just to fit in a bit more with society.

Ekho: It honestly sucks wearing this synthetic hair on my head all day.

Steve: Then why not just let the world see you for who you really are? You're beautiful with your freckles, white hair and brown skin. If the world can't see you for who you are then they don't deserve you.

Bucky: And that's just facts. You're more than beautiful, Koko. You're gorgeous.

I feel my cheeks grow hot as I look away. I've never been told that I've been beautiful before, especially since I hide my figure in men's shirts and slacks.

I could never make myself wear dresses or blouses. They were... too feminine to me. And they never fit in the way of my work, I could never move comfortably in them. Nor could I have a good fight in them either. No wonder I envied men so much, with their masculinity and confidence while women are forced to be weak and stay in the kitchen and be a baby maker. I could never live a life like that. At least not in the '40's.

Bucky: Hey, Koko. Do you have a day for the Exposition?

Ekho: No, I didn't have time to do so. I'm working with Stark during the Exposition, remember?

Bucky: C'mon, you gotta ditch that and hang out with us, Koko. It's my last night here, remember?

He wraps and arm around my shoulders again and kisses my cheek and a giggle escapes my lips.

Ekho: Okay, Buck. I'll hang out with you guys, but only because you're leaving tomorrow.

Bucky: And because you love me.

Ekho: *laughs* And because I love you, Sergeant Barnes.

I plant my own kiss on his cheek as we finally arrive at the Exposition. The night where everything would finally change for me. For the best... and for the worst.