Point of Difference

"But nothing makes a room feel emptier than wanting someone in it."

― Calla Quinn

"If you listen to the wind very carefully, you'll be able to hear me whisper my love for you."

― Andrew Davidson

Meerab was packing for her husband with a heavy heart. Khan Sahab needed to be in London for about a month. He had primarily been working remotely since his last trip to Karachi. She had gotten used to his constant presence around her. His proximity provided her with a blanket of security. Khan Sahan hovered over her for the most minor things yet empowered her to climb mountains. How could she not love this man? Her heart sank at thinking of being away from him for this long. Khan Sahab has become her habit now, a part of her routine. Setting up his day for him and doing his little chores gave her happiness and a sense of belonging.

He had once told her that her dreams were now his. So she would do her best to protect him and what he has worked so hard to build over the last decade. His business is his dream, and he puts food on the table for many families. She knows that if she tells him to stay, her husband will drop everything and be with her. But that would be unfair to him and the people who depended on him. Khan Sahab was sitting on the sofa talking to his London office, but she could feel his gaze following her every move over his laptop screen.

Murtasim did not want to take his eyes away from her. He tried to look at his wife as much as he could before he left. She carefully packed everything for him and thought of every small thing he could need. Little did his wife know that he had already packed his travel essentials. Murtasim had already placed a few of her bangles and a small jar of her lotion in his laptop bag. She tied her hair up, and Murtasim felt instantly irritated. He disconnected the call with his London office and slammed his laptop shut. He approached her carefully and released the clip holding her hair together. Her hair tumbled out like a waterfall. Murtasim stopped her and pulled her in an embrace for comfort.

Meerab hugged her husband back tightly, trying to inhale his scent so that it seeped into her skin, hoping that it would sustain her until he came back, "I will miss you, Murtasim," Meerab said, her head resting on his chest. "I will miss taking your clothes out every morning, you calling out for coffee in the middle of the day. I will miss your warmth. I will miss your strength. Har saans mein aapko yaad karungi, har lamhe aapse ishq Khan Sahab."

His begum echoed his feelings. Hugging her tighter, he declared, "I am canceling this trip."

Wrapping her arms around his waist, Meerab looked up at her husband, eyes shining with love and pain. She gathered her strength, "Your employees are your responsibility. You have worked hard to achieve this success, and I will not let you slip even a little. Some people have little luxury of a choice," Meerab saw her husband frown at her words. Tip-toeing, she gave him a peck on the cheek and rubbed her nose against his, "Go now, fix the issues so that you never have to go for such long periods again. I will be busy studying for finals here anyways."

His begum was getting confident around him, and it exhilarated Murtasim. Both hands framing her face, he looked into the eyes that always gave him solace. He could happily get lost in her whisky eyes forever, "Promise me that your studies will not affect your health." His wife nodded positively in response. "Since you are hell-bent on having me choose duty and be responsible, I want something in return from you."

"Anything you want, Shauhar Sahab," Meerab smiled through her eyes at her husband.

The word Shauhar made his chest filled with pride, and Murtasim set his terms, "I want one week with you and just you. No family, no work, no hospital. Just me and my begum."