Chapter 19

He had left the unconscious guard locked in the area designated for men's toilets. He hoped to come back for him once he'd done his job, if he could do it. He prayed that he would recover and help him later.

He was running through the alley that would take him to the dungeons in which Maguish prisoners were locked up before being judged. The only thing that could be heard was the sound of his footsteps.

From the tip of his Wand he held the Charm LUX to light his path.

His heart was beating fast, and not just from the race. He was not only going to face a Grand Maguish, but his sister.

Bhyanka.

Memories of her came to his mind. From when he first saw her.

He was only five years old when her Ma placed his newborn little sister in his arms. All rosy, with that abundant white hair. And when she opened her little eyes, as blue as the blue of the sky, stared at him, and it seemed to him that she smiled at him.

Only nine months later he had been her first word. She had yelled it loud and clear as his Pa held her in his arms trying to calm her down, because she was crying hard.

--Mebec! Mebec! - she had said, extending her little arms in his direction as soon as she saw him, for him to pick her up. Only then did she calm her crying.

Bhyanka was seven years old when their little brother was placed in her arms. She was watching him with wide eyes.

--"Ergos!"-- she said suddenly.-- "His name will be Ergos."

their parents had already chosen a name for the youngest of the family, but she had insisted and insisted that he would be called Ergos, that they gave up. Ergos was his name.

For thirteen years the memory of those sad and teary eyes had been burned into his memory.

He stopped suddenly when he saw that upon reaching the antechamber of her dungeons she was waiting for him.

Dark Moon welcomed him with an evil smile. He watched her carefully, not fully recognizing in her the little girl from his memories. Those were the same eyes. But in them there were no longer innocence and rascality. Just pure evil.

--So, it was you.-- she told him. He shuddered when he heard her voice. Deep down he expected to hear that shrill voice of his sister-- I thought I heard a disturbance upstairs. But what I didn't imagine was that it was you.

--You...?-- his voice came out scratchy because her throat felt dry.--... Do you know who I am?

--Of course I know. Medeck Nixalba, son of Bhyore Nixalba, Councilor of Montain Villa, province of Spirtus. It is my job to meet our future servants.

--I know you know who I am to you. Of that I have no doubt.

--You are nothing to me.-- she said, turning her staff around, beginning to walk in circles. Medeck followed suit, holding his Wand firmly.

--And this?-- He took the chain from which the moon-shaped crystal hung.-- Doesn't it mean anything to you?

Dark Moon had her head cocked to the side and was looking at him quizzically.

--Should it mean something?

--You know very well that I am your brother.

--No. You are not. You were her brother. Not mine. Have you come here with the hope of recovering your dear little sister? -- she wickedly laughed-- Do yourself a favor, and abandon that idea, because your sister no longer exists.

--You lie!

--So you think? If it is any consolation, I'll tell you that she fought back tooth and nail. But, once her body was mine, I erased all vestiges of her. Of Bhyanka, there is nothing left.