#2: The Writers Who Really Can't Get A Grip

So... I was just checking out the news and updates from Wattpad, and there was this #JustWriteIt #Fanfiction thing.

Which is pretty awesome in its own right because FANFICTION.

Anyway.

So I was just there, happily scrolling down when I saw this comment at the side of one paragraph.

And there was this writer who shall not be named who was pissing (?) at Wattpad because apparently she wanted to do it but the last time she did it she didn't gain any fame or recognition and stuff. And then she went on to say that we could call her 'Salty'(?) but something about being unfair yadayada.

Honestly I actually wanted to reply her then, but then I decided to be the bigger person!

But then childish me decided to write in this.

So... Honestly the first time I came into Wattpad (2008, I officially joined in 2009) it wasn't exactly like what it is now. I mean, now it's this huge online writing site where publishers scout out up-and-coming writers with good books. Last time it was just a place to write for fun and stuff. (I deleted everything I wrote last time... I mean, I was like seven or eight years old.)

I mean, I know a lot of people are pretty pissed at Wattpad (all the time, including me) and there's this big crowd of writers who are boycotting and saying that they don't like Wattpad's staff, the way everything has changed and pretty much most of the changes that Wattpad has done. (This one I'm not really part of.)

But seriously, why are people making a simple change--the new design of the profile-- into such a big deal?

I mean, sure there are complaints about the new message board system because they can't really talk to people there anymore (overload of stories which other people have voted on, or stories which they've voted on) BUT COME ON. You can just talk to them through PMs or just like talk to people through the comments on your story.

Okay, off topic now. Anyway.

So you know that writer I was talking about at the top? She-who-shall-not-be-named? Let's just call her... Betty. She's (He?) pretty much admitted online that she's writing for recognition. And she is, really. We all are.

Almost all Wattpad writers are looking for a chance to gain recognition through their stories so that they can catch the eye of a publisher and get their book published.

I mean, look at some books. After, originally a fanfiction about Harry Styles, Parogar's entire series of science fiction books. (I forgot the names of those books, honestly.) I have absolutely nothing against the two people who wrote this, by the way. I think that any writer on Wattpad who gets his or her book published, be it by themselves or by other people, are all good--or at least decent, in the case of fifty shades-- writers.

These are people who have gotten their big break, like in Anna Todd's case, and they are really damn fortunate and talented to get a chance to bring their book, and themselves up and out to the public. (I have no idea what I just said but just go along with it.)

So... The gaining recognition part? It's pretty true in the case of most writers. Be it whether they want something different on their CV, or they just want to earn money, most writers on Wattpad are looking for both recognition and fun when they write.

So part two. Call her salty but Wattpad's just being unfair.

Okay stop right there.

What the heck does Salty mean? Is that some slang for kids in another country or something? (I live in Singapore. Our slang has Hokkien words mixed in it.)

Wattpad's not really being unfair, kid. Have you ever thought that hey, maybe there are just better writers than you?

Wattpad gives a chance to all the newbie writers. (At least, I think they do. Does the what's new section still exist?) How do you think some writers got to where they are now?

Do you really think that Kevin Weinberg (I'd rather not refer to him by his Wattpad name because it's not really a part of him anymore. It's just something that people remember about him here and he's gone from this place.) started out as a superstar? Do you think that he would have known that he'd become pretty famous before being kicked out just because of one single book and one horrible friend? No, he did not. (No seriously, some people just take rumours too far.)

You want to gain recognition from participating in a Wattpad competition? Go check out some of the good writers and start learning. But please don't copy them, have your own style. It's what makes you different.