Chapter 5

Ilse lets me know this week that Dolohov himself has asked for a meeting. This shouldn't be surprising. He did tell me he wanted me to test out the modified Polyjuice potion this week.

I'd hoped I'd cut that off at the knees with my request for realistic duelling with Potter, but apparently I didn't.

I tell Ilse to put him on my calendar for Wednesday, hoping if he requests another in-person visit to the park we can do it Thursday and it'll leave my Friday and weekend open for Eloise or other personal pursuits.

Blaise surprises me. He books his own meeting with me through Ilse, bypassing the usual stepping-into-my-office conversation and making something official instead.

On Wednesday, Dolohov wants to ensure that I'm a legitimate potential investor - if he can meet my terms.

My only stated term is the actual duelling with Potter and that can be accomplished easily enough if they set Potter's memory to a certain time frame and permit the wand they allow him to perform certain functions.

It's not perfect, nowhere near what I asked for, but I can test the parameters and provide feedback, moving things forward. This sort of progress is all Dolohov really wants.

'We'll just get rid of them' has been making unwelcome appearances in my mind since last week, and I agree to the new testing without really thinking too deeply about it.

The warring motivations of 'I hate the park' and 'I can really curse Potter' and 'they'll get rid of all of them' jumble around until I can't separate them well enough.

Unfortunately for me, I can't accommodate Blaise until after I meet with Dolohov.

Dolohov has told me he needs a minimum of 6,500 galleons a month to stay afloat until revenue can begin to close the gap. I tell him I'll consider it while mentally reviewing the conversation I'll need to have with my father.

I decided to have this conversation without really deciding it. It's just... a necessary step, suddenly, taking me by surprise.

That won't do - my father will eat me alive if I ever face him unprepared - and I find myself welcoming Blaise's private talk to get myself ready.

Blaise and I have been friends since school. Unlike Greg and Vince, whose fathers were also Death Eaters, I gravitated towards someone who wasn't quite so ingrained in the Dark culture.

I needed an outlet, a way to disconnect. I never trust myself to be completely open with anyone, but I'm closest with Blaise.

He knows me better than anyone else and sometimes it's a relief - to not have to explain everything, to justify what I do or don't do.

Even so, there are some things that aren't wise to say out loud.

"Are you going to do it?"

My brain clicks into overdrive and I curse it. I never allow wild speculation, even internally. "Do what?"

"Invest. I thought you hated it."

I say nothing. I only look at him.

We stay silent for a few long, uncharacteristic moments.

"I can help."

This is unexpected and I raise an eyebrow, my hands folded on my desk as I stare at him. "Help with what?"

"Dolohov gave me the same pitch last night, I think."

My pride flares immediately. Even if Blaise's mother married seven times and murdered all seven husbands to have the money they do, the Zabinis don't have near the resources the Malfoys have. Not even close.