Chapter 25

We finally land back with Severus, who stops dead at our faces, mouth half-ready to speak.

"Never mind," I say wearily, mentally and physically fried. "How did things go here?"

"As well as can be expected," he says, clearly deciding to move on after a sideways look at us both. "Come in here so we can talk."

More talking is the last thing Blaise or I want to do, but this is important. I try to clear my mind and focus, pushing what happened over the past hour to the side. It's beyond difficult and I do a shabby job, but I hope it'll help.

Blaise has no such Occlumency skills and looks devastated and exhausted in general. I'm not sure he's going to remember a word that's said here, and I try to re-double my own efforts to concentrate on his behalf.

"He's furious about the snake," Severus says quietly, even after the room is sealed with a variety of privacy charms and silenced. "He didn't talk about the implications of it, of course. He was trying to present this as a rote check of what we're doing here."

At this, he looks at me pointedly, and I realise none of us has said the word 'Horcrux' out loud. Understood.

"But he was pleased with our security, for the most part. He didn't mind the lack of captives we now hold, believing, it would seem, that the ones we've gotten rid of have been distributed to all corners of the continent and bound in various forms of slavery."

"That's good," I manage feebly. "Get Ginny out as soon as you can."

"Ginny, yes, and I'll begin working on Ron," Snape confirms. "He didn't mention Ron outside of a passing interest. His entire focus was Potter and Granger," I wince, "and her simulation in the dorm was enough to visually satisfy him. But I don't think it'll hold up to close scrutiny. He had a lot on his mind tonight and was obviously distracted. If he hears more detail about the simulations we've created, he's going to want a personal inspection. We must be prepared for that."

I feel a blockade in my throat and can't take in a breath. Of course he will, sooner or later. How long can I keep Granger away from him?

"We also must be prepared for the possibility that he decides to check in personally on some of the captives we've sold already, to the families they were supposedly purchased by," Snape finishes, and I have another sinking feeling. Of course he might. Why wouldn't he check the security there, too?

Everything we're doing feels so impossible. How can this ever work for long?

* * *

I've never been more glad of a weekend.

I collapse in bed and stay there halfway through Sunday, letting the elves drop meals on a side table near me.

I hardly pick at them. I have no appetite.

('You don't know what love is')

* * *

The following week, we have another financials meeting and I groan, outright dreading it. I've been rededicating myself to work as the best distraction available to me, and it's been helping.

Blaise seems to be doing the same, but neither of us mentioned going to the pub last Friday for a pint. Looking at Blaise reminds me of Granger, and I can only imagine it's the same for him when he sees me.

But it's a good opportunity to catch up with Snape after the meeting about the progress on Ginny, if nothing else. I'm surprised though, when Severus tells us she's already gone.

Blaise is not surprised, however, and I realise Snape must have informed him in advance. He didn't mention it. He must not have gone back in to see her one last time.