Chapter 26

I'm in a slightly better head space the following morning and I manage to join my mother for tea. She's just finishing the Saturday Prophet, folding it over and getting ready to rise when she sees me walk in.

The look of unvarnished delight on her face makes me smile slightly. My mother, just happy I'm here, happy I came to find her for a change.

I should make more of an effort.

I add it to the list of things that I should do, that I should have been doing all along.

"Can we talk?" I start with. "Please."

She nods attentively, and motions towards the chair opposite. "Darling, what's wrong? We thought - I hoped - this would make you happier."

I give her a sad smile. "If this were the best it could ever be for her, I would be happier about it, yes. And I don't want to be ungrateful; she will not be hurt here -" and at this I stop, alarmed. "Father doesn't want to -"

My mother blanches. "No, Draco, no. Not at all. Never."

"Sorry," I mumble, ashamed. "I shouldn't have -"

Now she returns my sad smile, and gestures for me to go on.

I inhale deeply and try to get back on track. "She won't be hurt here. She'll have infinitely more to do, once we show her the library, and at least she can enjoy the grounds. She can -"

My mother stops me, though.

"We have to be careful, darling," she warns me intensely, her light blue eyes clear and sharp. "Very careful. She's allowed to be here by the Dark Lord because he thinks she's under complete and total lock and key. We still cannot give her a wand, of course, and as for wandering the grounds... she'll need to be carefully monitored. Yes, she will have much more freedom here. But if she were to escape, we would all be punished."

All of this is true and my despair starts to creep back in. It really is still a cage, no matter how I try to look at it.

She must see it on my face, because my mother puts her hand on mine gently. "Your father was trying to help. We could make her circumstances better and give you time with her. You've been so miserable, Draco."

"It's not about me, though," I pull my hand away, a little roughly. My mother sits back, stung. "And she doesn't want to see me, so I won't make her. The best I can do for her is give her something to pass the time, keep her mind engaged. She's been entirely alone there for almost two months now."

My mother considers this. "I'll offer to keep her company, afternoon tea or something. We can walk the grounds. It'll give her fresh air and a bit of conversation."

"I think that sounds brilliant," I tell her with moderate sincerity, kissing her cheek, "but don't be surprised if she's slow to come around to it. You've never met a more stubborn witch. Also," I go on, "I'm going to put Suz in charge of Granger's care, so don't expect to see her in her regular duties."

She nods agreeably, then gives a soft, rueful chuckle. "You really weren't trying to replicate Severus's mist formula?"

I shake my head. "It never even occurred to me to try."

"Lucius said I was overreacting," she replies with more than a dash of irritation. "The fool of a man was right after all."

I have to smile at her. "Well, either way, Mother," I stand up and she rises to match me. "I'm glad she's here, even if she won't see me. I'd rather she were here than there and I can't deny I feel better knowing for certain she's safe. But don't expect me to be happy that I'm now her captor."