Chapter 7: Dare

"What do you want to talk about?" Tom asked, feigning innocence.

"I think you know," Evans said grimly. He turned to lead the way down the corridor, all but confirming Tom's suspicions.

They made their way to the nearest classroom, the tension heightening with every step. By the time Evans locked the door behind them, Tom could no longer keep silent. He burst out, "This is all your fault, isn't it?"

"My fault?"

"You trapped us in a time loop!"

There, the accusation was out in the open. To Tom's satisfaction, Evans didn't deny it, but to Tom's annoyance, he displayed little guilt.

"You would've been fine if you'd simply left me alone," he retorted, perching himself on a desk and crossing his legs. "So this is partially your fault. And why were you snooping through my belongings?"

"Figuring out how to get out of the loop, obviously."

"So, did you?"

"Of course not," Tom snapped. "I wouldn't be here if I had."

"Hmmm, that's too bad. I thought I'd missed something."

Evans' nonchalance grated on Tom's nerves, replacing his righteous anger with pure annoyance.

"Enough of this," he said. "It's time you tell me what's going on."

"We are already talking about it. My book trapped us in a time loop and neither of us knows how to get out."

"That's not what I meant," Tom said, actively resisting the urge to hex Evans. "I mean it's time you stop being so bloody mysterious and tell me what's going on. With you."

At that, Evans fixed Tom with a long, searching look. Tom could practically hear the cogs churning in his little Gryffindor brain.

"I've told you before, that's none of your business," Evans said.

"It's very much my business," Tom said. "You showed up out of nowhere, started doing clearly dangerous research with Dumbledore, and wanted to kill me for crimes I never committed. And now, you trapped us in this mess because of your own incompetence. Who are you, really?"

"No."

"Tell me," Tom hissed, so frustrated that he slipped into Parseltongue.

Unlike most people's reaction to the language of serpents, Evans showed no surprise or fear. Instead, he tilted his head, as if he understood Tom's words, though he remained stubbornly silent.

"Very well," Tom said. "Here's what I think. Whoever you are, you are at Hogwarts against your will, probably for reasons related to time magic, which is why you're doing your research project, except you aren't making the progress that you're hoping for, so you're becoming increasingly desperate. You may be related to the Potters, but for whatever reason, you refuse to reach out to them."

Though Evans continued to stare instead of answering, Tom could gather from his facial spasms that he was on the right track.

"I know you dislike me," Tom said, intentionally moderating his tone. Evans snorted at the understatement, but he forged on. "Maybe one of my ancestors wronged yours, or maybe you've heard vicious rumors about me. But I'm on your side. Whatever supposedly happened between us, I want to get out of the time loop as much as you do. I can help you."

"You're the last person I'd accept help from."

"You don't have much of a choice. No one else is in the time loop, so you're stuck with me."