Chapter 15: Tug of War

Harry recovered first and stepped closer to Tom. "What a lovely surprise to encounter you here, Mr. Grindelwald."

"Likewise, Mr. Potter. I was under the impression you aged out of Hogwarts years ago."

"I'm escorting my boyfriend back to Hogwarts. I want to ensure he returns to his dorm safely."

To accentuate his point, Harry grabbed and squeezed Tom's hand. Tom responded with a smile that was hopefully fond without being sappy.

"How romantic and considerate." Grindelwald tilted his head. "I must say, you two make an impeccable pair. A half-blood rumored to descend from Salazar Slytherin...and an impostor who played the role of Fleamont Potter with aplomb."

Both Tom and Harry stiffened. Grindelwald smiled.

"Your little charade has been over for some time. The Malfoys' bathroom removed your disguise, though I suppose you were both too preoccupied to notice."

With a start, Tom realized Grindelwald was right. He'd been too distracted in the bathroom to notice that Harry no longer sported gray hairs or hazel eyes. Even his scar was back, pink and proud on his forehead.

"I have to admit, I admire your efforts. I was even briefly fooled." Grindelwald circled around them with the prowl of a predator. "But I should've realized as soon as I saw your robes, my so-called Mr. Potter." His gaze sharpened. "Who are you, and why has Albus sent you to spy on me?"

"Dumbledore?" Harry repeated with a forced laugh. "Surely you don't mean —"

"I can recognize the marksmanship of Albus Dumbledore's favorite robemaker from a single button. Does it have to do with the Hallows?"

Harry remained silent, but something in his expression or posture gave him away. Grindelwald nodded in satisfaction.

"As I thought. That explains the unusual presence of magic I've been sensing from you." He took a step closer, greed twisting his features as he took an exaggerated sniff. "In fact, if I'm not mistaken, one of you is currently carrying a Hallow."

Harry's hand flew to his pocket, which held the Resurrection Stone.

Tom steadied his voice. "You're mistaken, Lord Grindelwald. We are here on Dumbledore's orders" — Harry shot him an incredulous glare — "but it has nothing to do with the Hallows."

"Then what, pray tell, does Albus hope to accomplish?"

"An apology. Dumbledore is terribly sorry for what happened between you and wants to give your love another try."

Shock washed over Grindelwald's face, accompanied by — if Tom wasn't mistaken — a smidgen of vulnerability. That was all the distraction that Tom needed. He grabbed Harry's hand, cast Disillusionment Charms over them both, and took off running.

"'Give your love another try?'" Harry wheezed. "Playing matchmaker, are we?"

"Oh shut up and keep running!"

Running hand-in-hand in a life-or-death situation was not practical. However, as soon as Tom released Harry's hand, he realized he'd made two tactical errors. First of all, while Disillusionment Charms hid him and Harry from Grindelwald, they also hid them from each other. He soon lost track of Harry's whereabouts, and he couldn't call him without drawing unwelcome attention from Grindelwald.

Secondly and more gravely, they should have been running towards the castle, where they had a greater probability of arousing the professors' attention. Instead, they had been running towards the Forbidden Forest, whose inhabitants weren't any less dangerous than a livid Grindelwald.