Prologue: The Council

"You cannot be serious."

A council of thirteen sits in a marble room. The one who speaks is chair three, a tall girl with wavy hair down her back. Her eyes are like sharpened obsidian; draped in black that hugs her figure and butterflies that find homes on her shoulders and in the halo crown of thorns on her head. She regards the one in the highest chair with scrutiny. Beside her, her husband; a sharp eyed man with a quiet and brooding disposition, however gentle toward the woman by his side who he regards in agreement. He, however, does not speak as much as his wife.

"I know you care for these people, but should the destroyer care this much?" A man on the right speaks, owllike and golden; the god of medicines.

"I am goddess of spring, hold your tongue if you know what's best for you."

"Silence."

The one who breaks the argument is in the highest chair, the leader of this group. His eyes are steely and powerful, his gaze almost bored as he reclines in his gilded chair. Gray hair falls in his face. "I am deathly serious, Persephone."

"You cannot simply decide that now is the time for everything to pass away. You are only her mouthpiece! Ethan and I-"

Ethan's hand stops her from continuing, resting on her arm. "Lea, don't."

"If you decide now is the time, does that mean everyone?" A gentle voice breaks that silence that follows. The man who speaks is quiet and gentle in expression, regarding the leader with respect and curiosity. His eyes are warm, draped in blues and dark hair held back by a circlet of stars. "Including those you call the sentinels? Your starry warriors, Lune?"

There is a murmur within the council chairs before the gray haired one called Lune speaks.

"You are correct, Aquarius."

Silence follows before Aquarius speaks again.

"Then we must follow what the world has decided. We know it is dying, it cannot survive without another renewal and we can assess whether this will be the last."

A moment of silence before Lune finally speaks, order and finality in his voice.

"Then let the end of the world begin."