1: Two Years Before Imminent Starfall

KORAIN

"Hey, Kai! Wait up!"

I turned, grinning as a wild-eyed boy ran up to me,, a similar bright smile on the young man's face. "So, you're actually following me out, I thought you'd be waiting on Acacia to catch up with you before the cafe, Orion." The expression on his face shows one of embarrassment. "She's too pretty, what am I supposed to do?" Between the two of us, I can't help but think that he's being too shy.

Orion is tall, with a rumbling deep voice and broad shoulders that have people looking twice when he walks by. Hidden under a hat is a pair of cat ears that blend into his dyed silver hair and brown eyes that are warmer than any chocolate fondue. He drags people in without realizing it, from the girls that shower him in gifts to the guys that only dream of playing basketball with him after university classes. His demeanor is gentle, never has a problem with anyone. At least, not that they're aware of. I would know differently, as Orion was sharper than anyone when it came to opinion, whether about me or someone else.

The cat is quick to ruffle my hair. "Don't worry so much, Koko. You're so worried about me all the time."

While Orion is the son of a human and a cat, I'm a little more so. I'm the son of dragons and direct in line to royal blood. The First Water Dragon, that's my ancestor. My mom had dropped me off at the door of my father's penthouse with the intention of ruining his life, but according to Dad, I'd done nothing but make his life better. With his incredible charm as a voice actor and ex-figure skater, I wasn't surprised that everyone came to his defense when critics would try to tell him off. The charm I had also been born with, as a water dragon too.

"What are you two doing without me?"

I feel her before I see her, a tall body jumping onto my back. Acacia, the girl that Orion liked, who was currently red as a beet seeing her. Her hair is wild, long, and black as it tumbles down her back. Long legs, dark and owlish eyes, and pretty pink lips that form a pout, I could see where Orion would be drawn to her. He always liked pretty girls. Her arms are wound around my neck, shaking my head. "Waiting for you, obviously. You're so slow, sheesh."

Which only earns me a kick in the back from her leg. "Ow...? I could just let you fall, you know." Which is followed by a tinkling bell laugh that has Orion's face warming. How funny.

"You won't." And she's right. From the time we were kids, we were always together. That still doesn't change now. Orion elbows me in the gut. "Can we please get to the cafe without you two making me vomit?"

"I forgot how much you hate happiness." I snip, glaring at the cat next to me who in turn, hisses. It's always been like this, I hate to think of anything ruining that. They've been my closest friends, even when Acacia is at her dance classes and Orion is taking pictures, the two of them have always dropped everything for me, despite how much I feel I don't deserve it. I've been lucky.

The cafe is normally crowded, but with classes resuming, it's full of university students studying and civil servant exam takers getting tutoring. It's almost eerily quiet, save for Acacia's bubbly laughter. At one point, we were regular visitors in school, skipping classes to buy lattes and sharing a piece of cake between the three of us. Now, years later, nothing has changed.

Even sitting with the piece of cake between us three, it's still the same, save for our choices in drink. Tea for me, mocha for Orion, and an americano for Acacia. It's our typical fare though, regardless; chocolate cake.

"You know, you could be a little nicer to my sister." Acacia is beaming, legs crossed and hands demure in her lap.

"She's not your sister, Acacia. You two aren't even related."

Which earns Orion a sharp poke in the side. "Ow, Acacia, stop."

This is normal, their bickering. Orion hiding the fact he's in love with her and Acacia not being obvious of that affection is nothing but amusing to me. Their constant back and forth is like this, with me sitting between them as a mediator. At least until my phone lights up.

At first it's just my uncle. He texts me sometimes. And then my sister. And then it's my older sister, which at that point I know I've forgotten something.

It all comes back to me in waves. My dads are out for the night and I definitely needed to be home before the traffic got bad because it wouldn't be good. It was one day this week in particular and I hadn't remembered until now. It was today.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry, I have to go. I forgot my dad wanted me home." Of course I'd forget. My dad often told me that I was just really trying to get myself in trouble. One thing I always was notoriously bad with: time management. I was late to class, I was late to meetings with my father's family. I was late to everything. I was grabbing my things, the two others saying quick protests and "Koko, slow down!" before I'm out the door. Or, almost out.

Running out the door, I ran into something solid. It's hard, pulls me to the ground as I shake my head before looking up into the deepest pair of eyes I'd ever fallen into, the world immediately snapping into focus. They say that you know when your life, as you know it, is over. It's the way my whole body shifts and twists, turning who I was into a person I only once knew. Those eyes were ones I would have known anywhere, even in the fires of the end.