Chapter Six - Aftermath

Ember sat within the office of his captain, his boss still taking to the detective that had been questioning Ember about the events of his inauguration.  Now, the detective was finishing up his investigation for the evening, Leech and the officer engaging in friendly banter to ease the tension.

Ember was too lost in his own head to even notice, the shooting as well as his the mistreatment of Alec still running through his head over and over. More than anything, the shooter's words were replaying in his head, over and over again. Of course, the immediate consensus was that this was just some crazy conspiracist, or a rebel. But why Ember? Its not like anybody knew who he was, not before today's news report.  What would make some lunatic sneak his way through layers of security in a military base, just to tell Ember his father was alive?

Ember couldn't stop thinking about that. A crazy person wouldn't be capable such a well thought out plan. But then again, maybe he was a rebel? But why would the rebels bring this to his attention? Maybe they were lying... but then again, things felt different in the inauguration. The pilot had never seen Leech so cold, let alone towards his own son. And Alec... He still didn't know where the pilot was, nor if he was okay. He really hoped Alec was okay.

"Thank you for your time, Captain Leech, as to you, Ember." The detective spoke, turning to Ember and holding out a hand to shake.

Ember blinked, only hearing his name from that sentence. It broke his trance, but his deer in the headlights expression remained.

"Huh?"

The detective raised his brows before sharing a puzzled look with Leech. This caused Ember to look away timidly, it not taking long for his mind to drift off again.

"I'll talk to him. The kid is just in shock." Leech whispered to the detective, the officer nodding in response before he took his exit, leaving Ember alone with his leader.

Leech made sure to guide the investigator out the door, taking a deep breath as he shut it. He turned to look at Ember from behind, seeing that the pilot still appeared to be lost in his trance. Eventually, Leech made his way to his desk, taking his seat in front of the inducted pilot.

"I imagine this is a lot to take in, Ember. It is not my wish to see any of my pilots in unnecessary danger, so I want to offer my deepest apol-"

"Why didn't you help your son?" Ember suddenly asked, raising his head to meet his captain's gaze.

An abrupt silence filled the room, Leech taken aback by hearing something so unrelated yet so personal. The elder stared back at Ember, trying to maintain himself during these dire circumstances.

"I don't believe I understand, pilot."

"Your son. You knew he had that ink covering his face, right? I mean, you still live with him. You both go to work together.  Why didn't you do anything to help him?"

Leech sighed, standing from his seat and turning to his bookshelf. The man approached it, examining it's contents as he deliberated on what he should say next. Ember's gaze followed these motions, watching as his boss eventually fixed his eyes onto the ground below.

"Pride is an important thing to me, Ember. And my authority is important to my pilots as well as my son. He's an adult now and he's serving our nation. If my son can't come to the most important day of his life dressed like it, he can learn the hard way and see what happens when making those poor choices."