One Year Ago

Three hundred seventy-six. 

The number of days until my ordainment trial starts. That might sound like a lot, given that most children of Episladde practice and prepare for Ordainment from the moment they turn six. Episladde's most noble and wealthy families send their children away for proper instructions on the Ordainment, those who aren't so fortunate teach children by the lamplights, after a hard day's work. Some, even less fortunate, are not taught anything about Ordainment; they barely know how to read and write. Those must take the Entrance Exam or be known as Fodder.

It's quite cruel, but it is as it has always been. When war broke out over four thousand years ago, those who were deemed insignificant (those who couldn't read nor write and didn't really contribute to the best parts of our society) were placed on the front lines of all battles in the war. So many people died, the Scribe's official tally is somewhere above five hundred thousand people, on the front lines from our side. That's not including the innocents that were killed, or any of our enemies slain. Some days I'm envious of the Fodders; they do not have to spend time studying for the Ordainment trials. Scribes dictate that in any given year, only 30% of those who procure a spot in the Trials live long enough to complete all five sects. It's especially heartbreaking when normal children are expected to compete in the fifth and final challenge, despite never showing signs of magick. Some, such as my sister, are lucky enough to show great promise in one trial, and never complete any more. Reslynna was top mark in the first trial, the trial of knowledge, and was immediately ushered into the Scribes; everything of her life before burned. We communicate strictly through letters, but we will never see her again. We prove too much of a distraction. Before her, my brother, Sven, went. He never made it out of the third trial, leaving us without closure.

My father made sure that that wouldn't happen to Reslynna or me. He doesn't admit it, but I think losing his only son and not being able to bring home his body did the most damage to him than any in this family.

Three hundred seventy-six is a number favored by our gods and their ladies. Today is the day I start training for the last trial, just in case. Mother and Father bear no magick, but father's brother's son, Jacobe, recently was inducted into the Oreals, those blessed with the usage of metals. He is now on his way to the palace to become a blacksmith for the Queen's personal guard. I don't condone it, but I've heard whispers about how he only survived the Trials because he used his magick.

"Alessia, shall we continue?" My tutor, Mr. von Doff, asks as he returns from his lunch break. His cap is slightly off-centered as though the wind disturbed its rest upon his head, which made me chuckle internally. Mr. von Doff had eyes that caught everything; growing up my siblings and I were convinced he had eyes on the back of his head. They were replicas of his unnerving green eyes that sat under big bushy eyebrows. For him to miss his off-centered cap was funny. Perhaps it's his old age that has made him less keen. That thought made me sad, and I suddenly yearned for the days of childhood again. The days spent running through the village without a care in the world, accompanied by my brother and sister and Mr. von Doff's two twin daughters, along with the young boys who were always trying to find work in the fisheries. The days before anyone cared about the Ordainment Trials and the fate of our lives resting on a series of exams.

He started by simply breaking down the classes of mages. The first class was those associated with animals. These beings could be classified as one of three things: those who could communicate with animals, those who could control the beasts, and then those who transform into the beasts.

Next came the Elementals: those who could control the elements. There are fire bringers, ice weavers, storm masters, earth movers, kytes who can control the air (very dangerous and are often the best assassins). The water whisperers oversaw the kingdom's naval fleets.

"I need you to pay very close attention to the next group of mages, am I understood?"

"Yes sir." For him to further remind me to pay attention scared me. He was very much a no-nonsense teacher, but he also hated repeating himself and would seldom do it. I moved from my seat at my desk to sit opposite him at his desk. "Is everything okay?" I asked once I was situated, because was worried.

"This next group is a group of mages who are executed for simply existing. The magick that runs through their veins is treason to the kingdom. Later, I will tell you how they came to exist, and why we cannot allow them to live in any aspect of our kingdom. Not in pictures, not in bedtime tales, not in history." He avoided answering my question, and I felt dread settle in my stomach. "The most commonly found mages in this category are those who can control others, living or dead. Unfortunately, these mages are discovered at a very young age, as they often have difficulties expressing emotions. Next are those that can hear inside the minds of others, once again they are discovered very young. The magick manifests itself and the mage goes crazy. It's very sad to see, but they are dealt with appropriately. The final of the forbidden ones are those who can tell the future. These mages are a bit more difficult to find.

"As you know, the Prophets are a huge part of the culture in Episladde. They are completely free of magick and instead peruse the Scribes' notes on the Old Ones to explain how the kingdom will prosper or fall," he explained something that I was actually going to inquire about.

"Wouldn't it be a good thing to have an advisor who could see the future," I asked hesitantly. I knew that what I was suggesting was borderline treason, but if you had someone who could see the future, that'd be huge when it came to the militias and the politics of the kingdom.

"No," he said harshly. "Don't ever be so stupid again. As I was going to say before you interrupted, there's no way to verify what they say is true, until the time comes. So many people could abuse this magick and cause the downfall of our great kingdom."

"I understand, sorry for ever suggesting such a daft idea," I apologized.

"Don't worry your secret is safe with me," he winked at me, and I was grateful he wouldn't be telling my parents about my infraction. Something as harmful as suggesting treason would have my family sending me to be Fodder. Better than death, at least for a time, but treason was quite literally the worst offense one could commit, even if it came from a place of not knowing. "Shall we continue, or do you have any more questions? Think them through carefully this time, if you do."

"I apologize, we can continue."

He continued lecturing me about the mage classes until long after the last bell had rung throughout the town. It was past dinner time, past working time. I had to repeat everything back to him until it was satisfactorily ingrained in my memory. I knew the next year held much of the same, so I didn't pay attention to the grand clock hanging behind him on the wall as it ticked ticked ticked ticked closer and closer to the start of this year's Ordainment Trials.