Whatever happens, we have each other...

A/n: I'm currently re-reading the Scorch Trials and came up with the idea for this oneshot at 1am last night when I couldn't sleep... Enjoy my first-ever Newtmas oneshot! :)

****

Newt didn't know how long he'd been laying awake, just thinking about everything that had happened to him and the other Gladers over the past few days.

It seemed like everything had happened so quickly that he'd barely had time to think about what was happening; Thomas's arrival, Teresa suddenly showing up, finally finding out the code, escaping the Maze, their rescue... It had all been so fast that he'd barely had time to process any of it. But now that they were finally safe, Newt could finally let everything run through his head and process everything.

"Newt?" Came Thomas's quiet voice from the bunk above him. "You awake?"

"Yeah..." The blonde replied in a whisper, rolling over onto his side with a small yawn.

"I can't sleep..." Came Thomas's voice again. "Come up and cuddle?" Newt felt a stupid smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he slowly sat up and quietly got out of bed and crawled up to the top bunk. He couldn't resist a request from his Tommy.

"Move over..." He whispered, that same stupid grin still plastered on his face. Thomas happily obliged, moving over so that his back was pressed against the wall.

Newt couldn't make out much in the darkness, but he could just about make out Thomas's outline as he crawled under the blanket and lay down. He made himself comfortable before wrapping his arms around Thomas's back and pulling him close against his chest, his fingers running through his boyfriend's hair in a soothing motion.

"Do you think we're really free? That it's really over?" Thomas asked, his voice thick with exhaustion as he nuzzled his head under Newt's chin.

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see to know for sure," Newt replied, still stroking Thomas's hair as his other hand found its way under his shirt and rubbed along his spine. "But just remember: whatever happens, we have each other, alright? That's the most important thing... I love you so much and I don't intend to ever let you go. I'll be there for you whenever you need me and no matter what happens."

"I love you so much, Newt... Don't ever forget that," Thomas whispered back, a smile evident in his voice.

"Will you two lovesick shanks shut the hell up?" Came Minho's voice from across the room. "Some of us are trying to sleep..."

"Minho shut it..." That was Frypan. "Leave them alone. It's not their fault that you're obviously jealous."

Thomas and Newt both sniggered as Minho grumbled something that sounded very much like 'whatever.' Though he pretended to be annoyed, everyone who heard him knew that Minho was only joking around. He was incredibly happy for his two best friends. In fact, he was very much relieved that they were finally together. He didn't know how much longer he would've been able to bear it; the way those two would constantly look at each other... The way their eyes would sparkle when the other was around... It almost made Minho sick.

"I love you, Newtie..." Thomas whispered in the blonde's ear, giving his earlobe a gentle kiss.

"Love you too, Tommy," Newt whispered back, kissing the top of Thomas's head before nuzzling his nose into his hair.

It didn't take much longer for Thomas to fall asleep. He felt so incredibly safe and loved in Newt's arms, and like nothing could ever come between them.

Newt waited until Thomas was asleep before he himself even thought about closing his eyes. Once he was sure that his angel had fallen asleep, he finally closed his eyes and let the feeling of sleep engulf him and take him away.

He didn't know what tomorrow would bring, but none of that mattered for now. The only thing that mattered right now was the fact that they were safe; at least for the moment and that his precious Tommy was with him; right here in his arms.

Newt knew that as long as they had each other, everything would be ok.

***

Word count: 675