Chapter 4 Shush

I stared at Wicker and his facial differences and scooted behind the seats to get a better look at his sunken eyes.

"We need to kill Prince Wicker to end magic and the great family, so only beauty remains," the leader said.

"If you destroy everything not like you, then what will you have? You will start finding other flaws. How many will be left?" Wicker asked. 

I peered into his eyes until he noticed me

Unlike the evil ones, Wicker's eyes were pure. It took almost losing him to admit the truth to my heart.

The leader spoke. "Once upon a time, before Snow White ascended to the throne and passed her magic down to her sons, her mother was the rightful ruler. Snow-white stole beauty and magic belonging to the fallen queen."

A raven-haired woman handed the leader a golden dagger. She smiled. "The queen needed the heart of her only daughter to preserve the kingdom. But we can bring back beauty by cutting out Wicker's heart."

"Kill him!" The crowd chanted as if it was a game.

I open my backpack. My rolling glowing orbs caused a distraction, and I bolted from my hiding space. The body retrieval became a rescue mission.

I kicked the leader.

Okay, I'll admit, striking their leader in the jaw was for fun, and I wanted to knock that pretty smirk off his face. But unlike Hanna, I'm not stupid enough to hang around, and I maced him, making sure not to burn myself.

I kicked him again. And I felt neither ashamed nor guilty when I heard the crack of bones on his face.

I didn't struggle to lift Wicker because, unlike Hanna, I worked out and I slung him over my shoulders.

I tossed smoke bombs and standard magic items to fool them that I was a spell-caster, and they will hunt for a woman they already killed.

The woman who handed him the knife turned on him because he was no longer beautiful. I couldn't see it but heard his screams and begging.

I ran further, my eyes burning.

We hid for two hours and rested. I handed him water, dense black bread, and apples. "Sorry, no meat, but I didn't want to attract wild animals. And the apples are not magical, I promise." 

"No, it's wonderful. I haven't eaten in two days." He devoured what I gave him.

I ate too. My makeup did not come off because it was waterproof.

"Thank you. Love the new look. I honestly thought I'd die back there. Hanna was sort of evil, but I feel sad that she died. She wouldn't listen to me."

I cradled my knees. "I feel bad too." I turned to him. "Never scare me like that again. I love you." My lips trembled, and I kissed him.