Chapter Six Trouble

I'd spent some time searching around the foreign town and eventually found some potential apartments and a police station that desperately needed some help. Not that there seemed to be much crime, more that there weren't any officers working night shifts. Only a few hours a night were monitored. That had to change. It was just basic logic that nights were busy with illegal activity in some parts.

I held a flash light with my teeth aiming it at the map in my hands. I searched for the small print of 'DREAMVILLE' anywhere around the area I knew I was near. Something about the way Reyna had said 'Dreamville' just didn't agree with her smile. Her tone and expression seemed to be following completely different sets of rules. Perhaps it was some disorder.

I put the thought out of my mind and focussed on finding those little letters. Although I'd been looking for some time, that name didn't seem to appear anywhere I was looking. Maybe it was a recent discovery. Sticking to my theory of it only recently being discovered, I crushed the map next to me. I was too tired to fold it along the thousands of creases it came with.

It seemed like I had a habit of sleeping in the most uncomfortable places possible as I rolled my car seat back and laid down trying to convince myself I was in a posh comfy hotel room. Not the front seat of my small car. I guess I could dream myself into a warm hotel away from the broken air conditioning and jammed window.

Something about sleeping in this town was nerve racking. Not even the fact that I was sleeping in an empty parking lot phased me, it was being in this town. Like I'd met everyone here in some previous life of mine and it wasn't a great experience. It didn't help that everyone in this town seemed to act like I was the product of evil. It was worrying how much they'd already seemed to think they knew me.

But I couldn't let them get to me. I was going to succeed in my new life. Whatever it took, I'd do it. Without a doubt, I would build another world here. However difficult.

Sleep seemed to be hiding from me so I let my mind stray to the police station. Surely if no one was doing the night shift I could look around and see what kinds of things needed some work. Opening my eyes once again from my attempt of peace, I sat up and let my mind adjust to not receiving the sleep it needed. My hand automatically flew to the car door in the dark, knowing where it was from the many previous times I'd opened it. I left the seat in the position it was; I'd probably come back and sleep on it later in the night.

I hadn't been walking for more than fifteen minutes before I'd spotted 3 people drug dealing and one boy, no older than 17 drinking straight from a bottle of Bulmers out in the open. How can people not notice these things? Surely they at least recognise when someone is high during the night. I guess that'd just be one more thing I'd have to work on.

I say 'have to'; it's more like want to. Not that I want to be dealing with druggies at 2 am, but I would prefer working in the station than anywhere else. It was a job that appealed to me greatly and I had no idea why. Unusual.

I eventually looked around and found myself in an unfamiliar part of Dreamville. It was alarming to me that I couldn't recognise my surrounding except the path I'd walked down. The street was dimly lit and the store names were hidden in the night. A dog barked somewhere in front of me, startling me from my train of thought. That was my cue to leave and venture back to my car and trusty seat-bed.

It took some searching but I eventually found my car waiting for me in the parking lot I'd left it in. Time to sleep in my wonderful hotel. Not my car seat.