Chapter Six- Lucas

Lucas didn't use the knife the night he took it from the kitchen. He merely ran it down his shirt buttons, closing his eyes, then left it on the countertop. He left the kitchen and returned to Dad. He was still in the sitting room, sprawled on two sofas. Because he sleeps with his eyes partially open, Lucas catches an eerie crescent of light on his face.

Lucas stood there for a while, watching him. Several thoughts ran through his mind. Strangle him. Stab him. Poison his tea in the morning. But he shook his head eventually because he knew he'd never be able to harm his father, nor anyone else. He produced a blanket from his room and spread it over him.

*

The next morning, he hangs out with his friends. They're at some bar, and as usual, they have started performing for the world again. Dylan describes, in a loud voice, the banging party he held at his crib last night. Mason lies that he bought the champagne. Chase is silent. He's casually flipping through a book Lucas is sure he's not interested in.

Suddenly, Dylan says, "What do guys think of adding another member to our midst?"

"Are you crazy?" Chase says. "You guys are a bunch of trouble already!"

"No vote from me either," Mason says.

"Wait first," Lucas says. "Who's he?"

"She," Dylan mutters, coming to terms with the implications of his suggestion. "It's she, not he."

"I see," Chase is really getting infuriated; Lucas could feel something leathery in his voice. Now, he drops his book and turns to Dylan. "Is she your girlfriend?"

"Christ, no!" he looks around. Having caught a few people's gazes, he says, loudly, "I don't do the girlfriend thing. Cute dudes like us just dine and dash."

"Disgusting," Chase says and fishes his phone from his pocket. 

"So who is she?" Mason asks, craning his neck.

"You all know her. Vanessa Montecarlo."

All three exclaim, "What?!"

"Guys, guys, calm down—"

"No wonder Carol has been telling everyone you have a new fish in your net," Chase's voice isn't always this high. "You're dating her! Now you want her to—"

"There's no need to shout," Mason says calmly, as though he's the only one in the world who has his shit together. "Vanessa nor anyone else is joining us, period. I don't trust anyone outside this group. Do you know if she has secret plans? What if she's coming to join because she thinks I still throw money around?"

"Mason, you're the most insecure person I know."

"Fuck you, Dylan. I'm just trying to protect us!"

"You're trying to protect yourself, bro. Do you think everyone cares about your fake wealthy lifestyle? Let me burst your bubble: only cheap bitches do!"

"If you don't shut your shit hole of a mouth right now—"

"What will you do? Punch me?"

Lucas, who's been blocking his ears because of the noises, gets up and leads Dylan away. Dylan keeps wiggling, keeps howling, but his hands are strong around him. 

Lucas pushes Dylan to the grass once they’re outside. 

“Lucas, what the fu-”

“Shut the fuck up,” he snapped. 

Lucas felt himself starting to hyperventilate, so he rubbed his sweaty palms against the front of his jeans. Dylan noticed this and crawled forward, placing his hands on Lucas’s shoulders.