Chapter 18 - Two Can Play That Game

Beyoncé drummed her fingers on the tabletop

Beyoncé drummed her fingers on the tabletop. She and Nicki were in the conference room at her office, waiting for Shawn to arrive. The trap was set, but one crucial piece of the plan was still missing. Nicki looked at her, her face wrinkled with worry, she took Beyoncé's hand under the table and squeezed it.

Don't worry, she'll be here. This is going to work.

It had to. The fate of Beyoncé's family depended on it.

Everything will be ok.

Beyoncé gave her a half smile.

Thanks again for agreeing to come along, I really appreciate it.

I meant it when I said I'm still here for you if you need me.

Nicki still hadn't made up her mind about the two of them, but she couldn't bare to see Beyoncé like this. The door swung open and a tall raven haired woman strode into the room.

Sorry I'm late, I got held up in traffic. CC explained.

It's fine, Shawn isn't here yet.

Beyoncé had called her ex husband the day before and asked him to meet her here to discuss the custody situation. She'd made it sound like she was ready to give into his demands and he'd made her promise not to bring her lawyers.

Nicki. CC nodded at her. Hello again.

Hi. Nicki was surprised that CC remembered her, they'd only met once and it seemed like so long ago. Thanks for helping out with this.

It's no trouble. CC sat down at the end of the table. Besides, its in my best interests to resolve this, no one violates the privacy of my club and gets away with it. And I won't stand for this kind of disgusting blackmail.

Although CC appeared calm and collected the anger in her voice was reassuringly palpable. She really seemed to care about the situation and Nicki sensed Beyoncé relax a little.

The door to the conference room opened again and in walked Shawn, with the same confident swagger he'd had the last time Nicki had met him. He looked around the room, his eyes clouding over.

I told you to meet me alone.

You said no lawyers, you didn't say anything about anyone else.

Shawn's eyes landed on Nicki and he snorted.

You brought your nanny? The one you're fucking?

Beyoncé stiffened at his words, squaring her shoulders and sitting taller as she stared him down.

She's not just my nanny, she's so much more to me than that. And I brought her along for support.

He looked between the two of them.

So this is the real reason you left me? Because you're a lesbian?