The Prophecy

Sixty years previously,

It was over. Achilles II had cut down the last of the gods and monsters that had fought against this new council of humans, this new order to shape the universe. The staff that had once belonged to his father hummed in his hands as he made his way to the ceremony both to celebrate this new freedom and also the marriage of the seer and the outcasted giant.

He remembered when he had first heard of their courtship, he remembered his surprise. The seer, said to have been the daughter of a wanderer, had always approached life discarding her emotions, whereas the giant had been tossed aside by his family because he cared too much for his emotions according to them.

So distracted was he in considering the relationship between the soon-to-be married couple that he missed entering the colussium until he looked up to see the crowds cheering him on.

At the center, Bethany the seer and Matthew the outcast stood together in the embrace of a hug. Bethany wore a cyan cloak that covered all but her face, where her white hair and orange eyes were on display. Matthew, on the other hand, wore the same armor he wore throughout the war, made from thick sheets of metal. His spear hung on his back, the golden blood of many gods still having stained the tip. These were as much heroes as him, Achilles reasoned to himself as he was brought forward to give a speech on these two friends of his.

"All those who hear my words," Achilles started, pausing as he thought through what to say, "it is only fitting we end this conflict and violence with an act of unity and love. Many times Bethany had told us where powerful forces laid in wait, hoping to ambush and eradicate us. We all owe our lives to her. As for Matthew, I have stood with him against forces from the might of Apophis to the cunning of Fenrir. We have also seen him cut down the abhorrent lizard, which none of us thought was possible. I truly am glad to have met both and now see both of you unite from here to the shores of Elysium."

With his speech having been said, Achilles made his way to an empty seat, Matthew having stood up to share his words.

"In my family's stories," he started, "I was born the son of a woman who misplaced the power of gods. As such, everything I did was scrutinized as though I were her. When this war erupted, my father took it as an excuse to lead my family against the nearby settlements. As I was opposed to such barbarism, I was sent away with nothing but my name. It was there I found Bethany, who took me in as a friend and cared for me until I received the strength to join Achilles the god-butcher in fighting who were once my family. Now, I am to be joined with the woman who saved me, to be part of her family. I couldn't be more excited."

As Matthew sat back down, Bethany arose, something almost akin to sadness in her eyes as she addressed the crowd:

"We stand in the ruins of the hellenic gods," she noted, "and we all see Zeus' bane standing in audience here. When my father, Joseph the Wanderer, was still young, primordial beings ruled this region. They had heard of a prophecy that the children of their leader would bring about their downfall. As a result, the children of the earth were cast down, inspiring their titanic siblings to avenge them. This led to the titans ruling. Their leader was then told of a similar prophecy, causing him to drown in paranoia, even cannibalizing his own children. However, these children overcame such a dilemma as imprisonment, even in the bowels of time. In time, they escaped and fought against these titanic rulers and brought about their judgement upon them. Now you have seen the effects of Hera's brutality, in that Achilles has brought his judgement.

This pattern, of course, will continue. My grandparents are gods of intelligence and time, so all of my sons would be considered as part of the next generation. As such, it of my children I speak of, for this apocalypse will happen within five generations.

Monsters you may be, he will be tenfold whatsoever shall be done by ye. A hero with a thousand eyes on him, his son will be killed until he stands upon the rim. You cut him down, you will face his judgement upon your crown. He was chosen by forces that mustn't be released, and he will burn all you see to keep those forces sealed.

I once spoke with a beast that cannot die; it was not the true monster. No, no, no. If you lay a finger on him, you are the monsters, and his devastation will burn as red as the eyes of his friend.

Love may overcome much, but guilt is far too heavy to be held over only two shoulders. He shall live a hero but shall die a death like unto my father. In the end though, he will do what is necessary to bring the judgement of wanderers upon this world.

'Fool me once,' you shall say. He shall say nothing as a thousand souls scream from the future, begging for it all to end. Yet his plans to burn this world down have been born even before I was born.

The last truly won't be the least but shall be a fang buried in the ground to cut open a serpent. Life can't stop him, for he is a knight. The key is still in development, though that boy, that key must be protected by him.

These are the sons of mine who will stand in judgement against you. You cannot stop them, for even Devastation itself follows them."

Silence reigned, and it was from that day that we were hated and feared.