Nine

Emilia

I giggled again, lining the next shot up on the table.

"Jesus Christ, Leah doesn't slack off with the drinking does she?" Elliot laughed from across the table. I was too drunk to care. We'd had a few drinks at home before the guys were calling us saying we were almost an hour late which was hilarious because I wasn't even aware we were supposed to be somewhere by a certain time but Chris was annoyed so we got my dad to drop us off.

Being here, drunk, with Chris looking that good was killing me. And the 2 girls had decided every time I either though about taking his clothes off or anything about what made me come home I had to take a shot or drink of whatever was in front of me. He'd moved my drink back about 10 minutes ago and replaced it with water because the alcohol was going down too smoothly and I think he knew I was just using it to be stupid right now.

But hey, going a little wild for the first time in years was well deserved. I will deal with the consequences tomorrow with a pack of painkillers, a laughing father, and a stupidly sore head. It's fine.

I grabbed the shot without hands, throwing my head back and letting the alcohol burn a path from my mouth all the way down to my stomach.

"You need to slow down Mia. You're going to make yourself sick." Why was his breath so hot on my neck? Just, like, run your tongue up it already man. Bite me. God. Drink. I shook the thought from my head. Not healthy. Just called off a wedding last minute.

But you didn't love Mason, Emilia.

Shut up.

You were over that relationship years ago.

Stop it brain.

It's Chris.

Exactly. Chris. It's not going to happen.

"I need to dance." I grabbed the glass of water, downing it quickly. Something had to stop the thoughts Hannah and Maisie had crammed in there today. In the nail salon, and the hair salon and the shops and the coffee shop and the bakery. God I'd eaten so much today. Without even thinking about it.

I grabbed Hannah's hand, dragging her and Maisie out onto the packed dance floor to put some space between us.

"You're drinking a lot." Hannah laughed and I shook my head before laying it on her shoulder for a second.

"I can't help it. There's so many dirty dirty thoughts." The two girls burst into loud laughter. "It's not even funny. I need to get it out of my system. One guy that isn't going to murder me."

"YOU'RE GOING TO DO IT?"

"Yes." I nodded and stood up. "Fuck it. No harm no foul." They got overly excited stupidly quickly. Looking around at options for me.

One night. No strings attached. They were right. I needed it. I'd had it before. This wasn't going to be my first rodeo. I had a few one-night stands when I left for uni. Nothing serious until Mason though. I needed something fun. Exciting. More than missionary for 3 minutes that ended in me walking to the toilet and having an ice-cold shower. Desperately.

"Hi." I turned around, being met with perfect blue eyes, a little taller, think blonde hair. "You look a little lost."

"Not lost. A little confused. I'm Leah."

"Adam." I nodded. "Why are you confused Leah?"

"Well, my two friends seem to have vanished in the blink of an eye, leaving me in a bar I've never been in, in a town I haven't been to in close to a decade."