Chapter 7

I thought that was the end of our date. He made me change into this beautiful white dress. The top were filled with white beads and my waist was wrapped with this satin fabric, while the skirt had a laced finish. He was wearing a casual attire himself, white shirt with 2 buttons undone and his denim jeans. Now we were riding on a speedboat across the ocean. "You rich bastard. Why are you spending all your money on me?"

"I am not spending all my money. This is only a small amount out of my bank account."

"You, mister, should be donating instead of spending it on petty things."

"You are not petty princess." He pulled me close and slowly brought my chin to his. We kissed slowly and passionately. Our kiss full of love.

"Sharlene, I swear this wasn't part of the plan. But it is the right time. My first ever memory that I could think of was when we were 2 years old. We were on a trip together. You were crying because of something. Right, then I thought you were a princess. So I picked this flower I saw on the ground and gave it to you. The instant your eyes held mine, I was mesmerized by your eyes. We were best friends ever since. And that moment when you told you lost your virginity to that douche at prom. I was furious. I wanted to be the one to take your innocence. I knew I wanted to be with you then. I love and admire your independence, you've never once complained to me that you felt lonely. You did everything on your own. I was just there to give you moral support to achieve your dreams. I was captivated by you when you achieved your dreams. And those are just a few reasons that I love about you."

He stood on one knee and continued,

"I was hoping that you would want to be my best friend and soul mate forever because I know we would still be spending the rest of our lives together. Will you marry me, Sharlene Woodley?" He pulled out a velvet box with a beautiful ring inside.

I was crying by the end of his beautiful speech. This was so romantic. I was nodding my head as words were failing me.

"Say something Shar..." He wasn't looking at me when I nodded. Stupid Eli. I put my hand, palms facing down in front of him. He looked at my face and saw me half crying and half nodding.

He was grinning widely when he slipped the ring on my wedding finger. I hugged him tightly and whispered into his ear, "I love you so much Eli and I would love to be your soul mate forever."
•••

The speedboat then stopped at the shore. "Come on there's more."

What? You've got to be kidding me. "Eli, why was today so special? You said you didn't plan to propose today." I asked confused.

He just holds my hands and leads the way.

"Now I have to blindfold you. Okay?" I nodded and he blindfolded me with a black cloth.

He leads the way and I could feel the sand on my feet. We were at a beach. I could hear the waves and also hushing sounds. "You can open your blindfold now."

As I opened my blindfold, "SURPRISE!" I saw my parents, Eli's family, my old friends, everyone from my bakery, my family all under one roof.

Then a two-tiered cake came out approaching me. And all of them started singing the birthday song. I was so confused. Who's birthday was it? I looked at my phone and saw today's date. Indeed today was my 26th birthday.

"Make a wish!" Someone shouted.

I closed my eyes, I wished that Eli and I will have 3 children and we will be a happy family. I opened my eyes and blew all 26 candles.

Now I know why Eli did what he did today. It was the best birthday ever. "Happy birthday dear." Eli kissed my temple.

"Before everyone enjoys the buffet. I would like to make an announcement." Shit. He was going to announce that we are engaged. "Sharlene and I are engaged!"

A roar of approval was cheered as people whistled and clapped. My mom approached me and embraced me.

"I am so happy for you Sharlene!"

"Thank you, mom. I've missed you!" I hugged her back tightly.

Soon a wave of 'happy birthdays' and 'congratulations' continued. All the way I was standing next to Eli, who was holding on to my waist.

Susan came to me squealing, "let me see your ring!!"

I showed her my ring and she gasped. I didn't have the chance to really look at it. When I see it, I was mesmerized by it too. It was so elegant. It's a simple band with a rose as a diamond rests on top of the rose. The rose in rose gold. It was simple yet elegant. I love it so much.

I gazed at Eli lovingly. I stroked his cheeks and mouthed I love you. The night was perfect. No. In fact, the day was perfect. From morning at 3am till tonight. Everything was perfect. I couldn't imagine a better birthday myself. Who knew my birthday party turned out to be my engagement party as well.
•••