Chapter 3

Standing in the imposing shadow of the Elves Legal Intelligence Secret Agency (ELISA) headquarters, now my professional abode, an unexpected surge of anxiety gripped me.

Since the tender age of 18, I've been a devoted member of this organization. Yet, today's atmosphere carries an unusual weight, a departure from routine that sets it apart even from my inaugural day on the job.

Being an assassin isn't as simple as people assume – it's not merely hiding and eliminating enemies. The targets are strangers, individuals whose lives I intersect with briefly and permanently.

Navigating through missions, assassins traverse a nuanced landscape of emotions, a complex spectrum that demands adept management.

We undergo a rigorous six-month training regimen to fortify ourselves against the emotional toll our work exacts.

I used to pride myself on being impervious, an epitome of professionalism, but today feels distinct.

The chime of the elevator doors, interrupting my contemplation, heralded my journey through the hushed hallways. The rhythmic click of my heels echoed in the otherwise silent corridors.

"Selene," a voice called, and I turned to find Justin, my senior and former secret crush during my early days at work.

He led me to a modest cabin labeled "Chief," explaining that our usual leader was away for a few weeks, leaving a new chief in charge.

The new chief's serious demeanor and specs perched on his nose didn't seem impressed when he glanced at me.

"Chief to the right," he gestured.

I knocked on the door marked "Priklin Melskov".

I entered to encounter a man who defied the typical elven appearance. With a pale complexion, a pointed nose, small eyes, thin eyebrows, and a scattering of gray hairs indicating a seasoned age – perhaps in his 50s or 60s – he extended a warm welcome.

"Welcome, Ms. Selena Brakow," he greeted with a warm smile, and I reciprocated.

His office differed from the others, adorned with cream-colored walls, vintage décor, and expansive windows that bathed the room in natural light.

"I wish to discuss the upcoming mission with you," he began, his Russian accent lending a certain gravitas to his words. I expressed my readiness, prompting him to disclose that the mission pertained to the ongoing supernatural crisis in our world.

"More details shall be divulged by Ms. Juliet post this meeting. Commence your preparations today; the mission's duration is anticipated to be considerably lengthy." The gravity in his tone mirrored the complexity of the task at hand, and as I absorbed his words, a surge of anticipation mingled with the lingering unease, setting the tone for the arduous journey ahead.

~~~~~~♤~~~~~~

Words: 432