You knew?

"MUM!" Called Elvira as she rushed into her home, "DAD!"

"Whatever's the matter?" Bill asked her.

Nieve came rushing downstairs. "Elvira! Are you ok?" She worried.

Elvira took a half step back, breathing heavily. "Wait! How do I know you're really you?" She asked them, warily.

"What's all this about?" Asked Bill.

"We were with Sheya and we went in a parallel world and I don't know how many there are and I don't know if I came back to the right one." Panted Elvira in a big jumble of worried words.

"Ohhh," her mother seemed to understand, "yes I remember Vogue telling me about the parallel world thing now."

Elvira glared at her mum, "you knew?" She asked, furious.

"Well, yes, sorry, I forgot," stumbled her mum guiltily. "you've reminded now though." She tried to end it on a positive smiling weakly.

"How did you not mention this earlier?" Stormed Elvira.

"It was all a very long time ago," Nieve tried to defend. "Shall I tell you what I know about it now?" She asked.

"Yes," grumbled a rather exasperated Elvira as she found a seat in the conservatory.

"Right, well," said her mother wringing her hands.

Bill sat too, silently suggesting Nieve should do the same.

She did and the atmosphere began to calm a little.

"I don't remember all the details," started Nieve, much to Elvira's chagrin, "but I think I remember the basics, more or less. Now I think there are 3 parallel worlds... or was it 4?"

Elvira groaned.

"Anyway," Nieve pressed on, "there's one with less magic than Earth, one with more, and I think there might be another, but I'm not certain." Nieve frowned, "no that's right there is but you must never go to the last one because it's too dangerous."

"Why is the last one dangerous?" Asked Bill, concerned for his daughter's safety.

"Something about too much magic..." Nieve tried to remember, "and very bad people being very powerful."

"Are the other worlds dangerous?" Asked Bill

"How do you know there aren't more?" Asked Elvira "how do you know which is which?"

Nieve closed her eyes, trying to remember what Vogue had told her, how he had put it.
She fetched a piece of paper, remembering a diagram Vogue had sketched out for her in the sand on a beach.
"It's like they're all in a line," she tried to explain to them, drawing it out on the paper.
"This one is like earth but without any music or dancing or joy, this one is Earth, this one is like Earth but with a bit more magic, and this one is the dangerous one that you must never go too." She pointed to each circle she'd drawn as she explained what she remembered. "From the no magic one you can only get to Earth, from Earth you can go to the no magic or the magic one, from the magic one you can get to the dangerous one or back to Earth." She explained pointing to each circle's neighbours.

Elvira and Bill nodded, seeming to understand.

"So, there isn't an infinite multiverse?" Asked Elvira, for clarity.

"No, just these four," her mother confirmed.

Elvira breathed a sigh of relief.

"Have you ever been to any of these places?" Bill asked Nieve.

"Just this one," she answered, pointing at the same one Elvira and her friends had just visited. "Vogue made a picnic in a meadow for a date there, it was beautiful. So many butterflies and flowers, and the most amazing fruit!" Nieve smiled with the memory.