Chapter 26 - Baby Mama

Mina

When I walk down the hallway, I expect mayhem. Tears and frustration. A desperate plea for help because she's out of her depth. I stayed in the tub with my noise-cancelling headphones on until the water was cold, and it still felt luxurious.

So shit has to be falling apart.

But no.

Chaeyoung is laid out on the couch, her good arm slung behind her head, which makes her bicep and tattoos flexing in a very distracting way. Vivi is sprawled across her chest, looking like a koala who's climbing a tree that is too big for her to reach around. Her red, heart-shaped lips are just a little bit open, and her arm that should be in a sling is folded beside her, one broad palm splayed over her back.

There's some sort of car race playing on the TV, but Chaeyoung is staring at Vivi.

Something about the moment feels profoundly special. She missed a lot of moments, a lot of firsts. And this is her first nap on her.

I yank my phone out of the back pocket of my jeans and snap a photo. The warm light gives it a dusty vintage effect. They look so peaceful.

"Hi," I whisper as I walk over to them.

Chaeyoung glances up at me but does a double take.

"What?"

"You just..." Her lips roll together. "You look beauti—different."

I almost smirk. Beautidifferent.

"Well, I put on some makeup. How is she?"

She stares back down at her. "Perfect."

I feel weird hovering, so I sit on the coffee table next to them and hold my phone in front of Chaeyoung to show her the photo. "If you give me your number, I'll send it to you."