Chapter 2 - Circumstance?

You had just walked your boss down to his office, basically at his heels and glaring at whichever poor soul tried to talk to him. He wanted no visitors, he'd get no visitors. Eventually when you reached his office, you went to open the door for him, but before you could he did it himself- grabbing you by the wrist and leading you into his office, the door clicking shut behind the two of you.

With a pang of terror you realized that it wasn't the door latching.

It was the lock.

Your eyes fervently searched the room for any form of escape. He let go of you, stepping backwards and giving you quite a stern glare. He was angry about last night, wasn't he?

Would you be punished, like in your old mafia family?

What would he do?

"Doll..." He spoke up, and for just a second he sounded tinged with empathy. Looking to him, he seemed as cruel as ever.

"Yes?" You said, practically whispering. The eye contact you had with this stern man was painful, it felt as if his hatred wormed its way into your heart and settled in like sand in water.

Then he seemed to soften. He seemed almost kind in his countenance, and he took a step forward, placing a hand on your shoulder.

His hands were quite gentle, quite warm.

"Doll-face, I can tell you weren't very happy with me yesterday, and I can see why. It's a sensitive story, I can tell. You don't have to tell me, but I want you to know I'm not trying to bring up old memories, 'kay, Doll?"

You looked away, saddened. He seemed to notice, and he squeezed your shoulder a bit.

"I'm not trying to make you upset."

How shameful it would be to tell him what your old Family did to you.

How they wrongfully punished you.

How their bloodlust and mirth infected your heart, sucked the warmth from your eyes.

You used to be such a sweetheart before you got your whole entire life ripped away.

But you couldn't tell him that!

"I'm sorry..." You whispered, and that didn't seem to help all that much, you saw a flash of what appeared to be hurt in his eyes before it was replaced with a cruel glare.

"You're fine, you didn't do anything wrong. I suggest you get back to work."

He stepped away from you, retracting his hand.

You tried not to think about it too hard as you left his office feeling miserable.