Chapter 4 - The Letter

Once you were home, you were sitting on your sofa, examining the letter. It was a thrill to have one of these in your possession again, they were just like the letters they handed out to the assassins.

Did you get your old job back?

You traced the imprint of the Family's insignia under your fingertips, excitement buzzing in your chest as you pried the letter open.

Your eyes scanned the paper, Wally's slanted and curly cursive regaling information that slowly made your heart sink with disappointment.

To whomever it may concern,

       Tomorrow, you will be attending the Head of the Family as he is present at a diplomatic meeting with another family- you will be required to dress formally and carry concealed self-defense, as his bodyguard you are required to have some sort of weapon on you. Obviously. You must be attentive and well-rested, there is a very tense relationship between the two mafia families, and if anything goes wrong, you must be there to defend the Head of the Family if he is unable to do so himself.

Warm regards, recipient.

With a huff of exhaustion, you cast the letter aside, landing on the sofa next to you.

Of course you had to follow him into a fucking diplomatic meeting.

What are you, some damn lap dog?

You eventually stood up and  angrily got ready for bed, spite basically fueling your energy to actually complete your self care "routine".

You barely ever had the motivation to care for yourself, even though you hated how unkempt you looked because of it.

After finishing getting ready and flopping down on your bed, you realized tomorrow is going to be tough.

You let sleep take you, because you'll be damned if you aren't perfectly rested out of pure spite.

In the morning, you got dressed in a sharp black suit, with a bulletproof vest underneath.

Just in case.

Arriving at the Family's headquarters, you reported to Wally.

"Hey, Doll!" He chimed, wearing that usual charismatic smile. He didn't look much different aside from the fact that he looked much more well-kept. "You ready?"

You nodded, silently. He tilted his head to beckon you to walk alongside him, and as you exited the building, there was a strange car outside in the driveway.

It's time.