The Past

"Emmanu, stop doctoring me. I'm not one of your patients," Lenora scolded and switched her phone to the other ear.
"I'm "sonning" you, if that's even a word. Sons are supposed to worry about their mothers. Mama, come to the clinic in Douala this weekend let's find out what's causing you chest pains," Emmanuel said.
"Maybe next week. I have to go," She said dismissively.
"Mamaaaa you know you're the only woman in my life na, take care of yourself " Emmanuel said

"Hmmm...Emma, the only woman how? What about Rina?" Lenora asked laughing.
"Bye mommy, love you!" Emmanuel said quickly.
"I love you son," She said and hung up. Amongst her two boys, her twenty five year old oldest was the shyer unlike his twenty two year old younger brother Raoul who introduced girls to her like the latest trendy shoes. She missed when they were younger and at home with her. Now Emmanuel was always busy at the clinic and Raoul was somewhere attending art events. Her boys seemed settled and that should have been okay for her but there was still the lost sheep, her daughter. The one that made her heart bleed. She sighed and looked at the plaque on the door. She needed to talk.

Sharon R. Eyong
Couselor

On raising her hand to knock, the door opened and a woman walked out with shoulders hunched and audible sniffs. There was a tissue pressed between in her palm and when she looked up for a second, Lenora saw the puffiness of her face and the redness in her eyes. She wondered what the woman's problem could be.
She opened the door.

"Len! I thought you said 4pm?" Sharon exclaimed.
"I know, but I needed to really talk," She said, sinking into a dark blue couch placed in front of a glass table. There was a box of Oran tissue waiting to be used by broken people seeking help. Although she was almost ten years older than Sharon, they were close friends because they shared something in common. She was the wife of Michael's older brother, Eyong Salvadore.

"What's up Len?" Sharon asked, sitting on the couch opposite Lenora in a manner that spoke of a trained counsellor; eyes focused on Lenora's face and a neutral expression.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm not one of your clients. I need to talk to a friend," Lenora said quickly.

Over the course of time, they had learned to separate professional from personal business.

"Ok, I was about to head to Le Gout. I'm starving. We can talk there" Sharon said quickly as if she was waiting for a way out.

Lenora followed her out. They drove Le Gout de Mama, the restaurant Sharon co owned with her husband at Carrefour Tam Tam. It was an African themed restaurant built with treated bamboo, wooden table and light bulbs encased in woven baskets giving the space a homely vibe and serving African dishes.

Two waiters immediately ran towards them with notepads in their hand, almost bumping into each other and eager to serve their boss.

Sharon looked up and smiled politely.
"Goat pepper soup with plantains," She said.
Lenora ordered the same, not wanting to burden herself with trying to decide what to eat. There was a lot on her mind.

"I'm a terrible mother, Sha," Lenora said as soon as the waiters left.
"What makes you say that?" Sharon asked.
"What kind of mother cannot help her daughter?" She said in frustration.
"Do you think its easy with Jema at 16, she doesn't want to see my face." Sharon said trying to lighten the mood.
"But at least she talks to you. Natalia is scaring me. Every encounter I have with her drains me" Lenora said, lowering her head.
"I shouldn't have let Michael take her away," She concluded.
"You had no choice," Sharon said.
"I had no choice back then because I had no money to fight Michael for Natalia but I built this thriving skin care brand so that nobody will use wealth to threaten me or my children.
Norally blew in a short time and I had the chance to travel to America and fight for my child but I didn't. I was too afraid and now its too late. Everytime I remember that incident, I feel powerless." Lenora cried.

***

"Michael please. You can continue to sponsor her from here." Lenora begged.
"No. She is coming with me. I can't allow my heiress to live in this squalor. She needs better surroundings and inspiring people around her," Michael had said looking at the cramped two bedroom apartment in Douala, Village Lenora and her three children were living at the time.

"Michael please" The desperation in her voice was increasing. After she and Michael broke up, he stopped paying for her apartment and she quit working at his family owned hotel where she was a waiter. She moved to a smaller studio apartment and he now sent just enough money for his daughter alone. Life became tough.

"My mind is made up. If you don't want to leave her, you can come with us," Michael demanded. He knew they'd broken up because she wasn't ready to send her two other children to live with their mother.

"I'm coming with my boys," She'd said knowing what he'll say

"I'm not raising another man, sorry other people's children. Go leave them with your mother," He spat knowing that was the end of that discussion.

Natalia had been listening from the bedroom so when she heard her mother approaching, she ran and sat on the bed. The door creaked open and Lenora walked, trying hard not to cry.
"Talia. I have to tell you something," She said and sniffed
"I don't want to go with daddy!" Natalia wrapped her arms around her and began to cry

"You will stay with your daddy and your brothers and I will come visit you okay?" Lenora said, this time unable to control the tears that came down.
The next time she saw her mother was at the airport when Michael was taking her to the USA.

"Natalia!" Lenora had yelled from the gates but Michael had warned the authorities not to let her in. She had just learnt that they were moving out of the country that day.
"Michael you lied to me! You didn't say you were taking her abroad!" She cried, falling on the ground but he just stared at her and walked into the airport building, ignoring his own daughters tears.

***

Natalia's eyes popped open. She looked around her surroundings, she was lying on the coach in their living room.
Fresh tears stung her eyes. She blinked several times and swiped them away. She hated having these memories, they were pointless. Her mother was a coward and she was never going to forgive her. She heard footsteps approaching, then they stopped just behind the coach. She didn't need to turn to know who it was.
"Its time, get your bags," Michael announced.
She sat up straight and picked her small handbag containing just enough clothes for the weekend. She looked into her father's eyes and smiled. The smile neither reached her ears nor heart.
Soon, you'll be free. You can end it all.
A voice said in her head. She'd began to listen to that voice more often.
She walked out into the vehicle.

***

Michael's hands were on the steering wheel when she got into the vehicle. He looked at her face and a fear crept into his bones. He could no longer read his daughter. It was like she was someone else.
You're turning her into a robot
She may find a way to escape and you won't be able to find her
Lenora's voice replayed in his head.

THE END

THANKS FOR READING

There are many men like Michael who who will do anything to rise. They're not necessarily bad, they're not stuck.
How much should Lenora have fought for her daughter?
Natalia is beginning to find an internal escape...hmm...that's scary isn't it?
What do you think she plans to do?
Natalia is beginning to find an internal escape.