Chapter 12

The fourth of July came round and Belly nor Conrad had fully processed what happened between them just days before. The kiss wasn't spoken about again, but it was like their relationship reached a new depth. It was a depth that Conrad was sure was gone. And now he had just again realized that it wasn't gone. It was still there. He and Steven were getting everything ready for the party later that night, but all that was on Conrad's mind was just kiss.

"Did you and Belly talk when we were all out the other night? Because you guys seem pretty much back to normal," Steven said as Conrad looked at him.

"I don't want to lose her again. But I told her that I still love her and we... We kissed," Conrad said as Steven smiled.

"That's my boy. Now what is the next step for you guys?" Steven asked.

"Hopefully to just figure out where we do stand with one another before things goes completely out of..." Conrad said as he saw how Belly approached them.

"You will never guess what Nicole called me about just now," Belly said as Conrad looked at her.

"Bells, I'm not good with guesses," Conrad said.

"We're doing a reunion to the deb ball. We all have to be there," Belly said as Steven looked at Belly.

"Taylor is going to hate it if me and Shayla dance," Steven said as Belly nodded.

"Things are different now. Talk to Nicole," Belly said as Conrad chuckled.

"Do you even still have your dress, Belly?" Conrad asked as Belly nodded.

"Your mom had put it away. Mine is taking it to the dry cleaners. All of this just seems so wrong," Belly said.

"Why? Because Jeremiah was supposed to escort you to the dance?" Steven asked as Belly looked at her brother.

"Susannah was here last and that was the night when everything blew up. We found out about her cancer coming back and it just all ended badly," Belly said.

"That next morning, you nor Conrad were able to sleep and had your first kiss, right? I think that was how it all ended," Steven said as Belly remembered the day like yesterday.

"There is so many things I want to say to you," Conrad said as Belly stood up.

"Don't," she said as Conrad stood up with her.

"Not now," Belly said.

"Why?" Conrad asked.

"Because you really, really need someone right now, and I don't want to be the person who abuses that," Belly said.

"I don't just need somebody - I need you," he said looking into her eyes and at that moment Belly couldn't even think of what to say.

"I don't want you to need me. I want you to want me," Belly said, determined in what she said.

"I do want you," Conrad said.

The moment ended with Conrad kissing Belly. Their first kiss on the beach. That was when belly had hope for whatever could happen. She was sure that everything would be okay. Until it wasn't. Everything fell apart after that. She and Conrad didn't get together until much later in the year, but when they did get together. Their romance was like nothing else Belly has ever experienced.

"Good memory, Steven," Belly said.

"Bells, I'm sure this dance will go just fine. I don't know why they wanna do a reunion though. Sounds stupid," Conrad said.

"Belly, what was his exact words when Susannah enrolled you?" Steven asked as Belly chuckled.

"The whole deb scene is bullshit. It's for sheep," Belly said.

"You ready to take out your dancing shoes again, brother?" Jeremiah asked.

"Not so sure. But even if I have to admit it, that dress did look beautiful on you, Belly," Conrad said as Belly smiled.

"I think we all can agree that Susannah and my mom knew that dress was more... Me," Belly said as Conrad smiled.

"It honestly was," Conrad said.

"Are you in then?" Belly asked.

"Why not? Sounds like a lot of fun," Conrad said as Belly smiled and went over to Taylor.

"You'll do anything to make her happy, won't you?" Jeremiah asked.

"It's good to see her happy for sure. And I just want what's best for her. I always have. After the deb ball reunion thing, I'm going to ask for another chance. I think both me and Belly deserve it," Conrad said.

"I hope you two can make the long distance work. You guys will need to deal with a lot of long distance. Like a three thousand mile distance. Are you guys ready for that?" Steven asked as Conard exhaled.

"Distance doesn't bother me. I just want her to be happy," Conrad said.

"I think we all do. Let's do that then. Let's get you deb ball ready. I am super glad it is not me again. Maybe I can invite Hannah though. She has always wanted to come and watch these things," Jeremiah said.

"Yeah, then I can meet this girlfriend," Conrad said.