Chapter 23

It felt like she was a kid again. Belly and Conrad were down at the fair while both of them had decided to go and have fun for the day. Jeremiah was hanging out with Cameron that day and Belly was just able to relax, and have some time with Conrad. They hadn't really discussed anything regarding Adam's engagement or their own relationship yet. Belly just wanted to enjoy the summer. Or what was left of it.

"This summer is literally flying by," Belly said as they were walking through the fair.

"I guess you can say that," Conrad said as Belly smiled at him.

"What's going on in your head? We haven't really spoken about a lot of things," Belly said.

"My head is a closed book. You should know that by now," Conrad said as Belly looked at him.

"I know. Which is why I'm asking," Belly said as Conrad exhaled.

"Why do you have to know me so well?" Conrad asked as Belly smiled.

"Well, when you have known someone as long as I've known you and Jeremiah, things do get complicated," Belly said.

"Complicated? I think that is putting it lightly, Bells," Conrad said as Belly smiled and they walked up to Shoot Your Shot.

"Okay, let's do this. Getting you in a good mood won't be a bad thing," Belly said. 

"Too bad for you, basketball is all about angles," Conrad said as Belly smiled.

"Too bad for you, I had such a great trigonometry tutor," Belly said as Conrad clenched his chest.

"Thank you. Although I am surprised that you still remember that," Conrad said as he was the first one to throw a ball.

"You got me through junior year math. Of course I remember it," Belly said throwing a ball as she was shocked who she saw there.

"Oh fuck," Belly said as Conrad turned around and looked at the girl behind them.

"Aubrey," Conrad said, as Belly could hear in his voice that he wasn't pleased to see the girl.

"What are you doing here?"

"I didn't know the boardwalk was off limits for other people," Aubrey said looking at Belly.

"I thought you would have headed back to Brown by now," Aubrey said.

"Leave Belly alone. She's not your personal punching bag. In fact, I spoke with Trusky about this year. Who do you think you are stating that Belly is a selfish person and pushed me away?" Conrad asked.

Belly knew that was the gasoline that would light the fire even higher. She saw as Aubrey looked at her, fire in her eyes while things was about to get a lot worse.

"Truth hurts a bit, hey?" Aubrey said.

"I've also wanted to go to Stanford. Belly didn't push me there. When we were even together, me and my mom arranged for me to get transferred. Yeah, I knew our relationship would be harder, but I knew me and Belly could make it work. And hearing that this last year you have been going off at Belly because of all of this has been absolutely heartbreaking," Conrad said.

"Bullshit. She told you because then you have a reason to be pissed at me," Aubrey said.

"Her brother actually told me. It was hard dragging it out of her. You leave Belly alone. In fact, I can now ensure that happens. I'm transferring back to Brown so watch your step," Conrad said as Belly looked at him.

"Wait, what? Are you serious?" Belly asked as Conrad nodded.

"Yeah, I'm serious," Conrad said.

"Oh, my gosh," Belly said jumping into Conrad's arms as he smiled.

"Now I can give our relationship a proper shot," Conrad said.

"Well, shoot your shot then you'll know," Belly said.