Chapter 1

Marion POV

It's freezing out here, but I like it as the cold wind and yet I don't know why.

I've been walking for about 30 minutes I got to the more urban areas compared to our cutoff apartments buildings, cars go by and out of the corner of my eye I see a white speck and when I look into the sky I see snow falling from the sky.

Beautiful snow flakes, It takes me back to when in 3rd grade we put snow flakes under microscopes and saw snowflakes from a microscopic point of view.

Sticking my tongue  out I stick it back in after a piece lands on my tongue and the chill makes me cringe and it retracts almost out of instinct.

I take a moment to laugh at myself and reflect on when I younger and I cried when I touched snow and it burned, it was at my grandmother's house during December and we were outside popping fireworks.

When I was much younger-...I am only 16, yet I am already talking like an old man. But when I was younger I remember I used to be hypnotized by snow and the cold, you know it's strange how the thing that gave me the first lingering sensation of pain now entrances me the most.

In the distance I see a small gas station, I am a bit hungry and I wonder if biscuits are still sold at this hour.

Opening my backpack I see about 20 dollars I got for being a teacher's assistant for about 3 days for my history teacher. I got to the classroom early to help her organize the desk and gave her a few video sources for details about the historical topics she was doing.

Just barely I almost slam into the wall before correcting myself and entering the store, I feel the need to look around and make sure no one else saw that.

When I enter the store I go to the counter to ask for one, handing over 3 dollars and waiting to the side and the smell of someone smoking outside.

It's the 25th of October and some stores are taking down Christmas decorations, it's so far in the year that you may as well leave them up at this point. Then again I am not one to talk since we left our's up till April.

When I look up I see some churchwomen entering and chanting about how Halloween is the "devil's holiday" but that's not exactly uncommon and they are handing out pamphlets for their church or whatever.

Feeling annoyed I go to grab my biscuit and leave out as fast as I can before anything they say pisses me off, my grandmother died long ago and she herself was a preacher and my mother is fairly religious. 

Thinking about it rubs me the wrong way and consider how my mother is I sometimes try to forget my grandmother was a preacher and considering the views and how narrow minded my mother is...I can only imagine how she was.

And even then, aging feels as if a curse and as bad as it may sound sometimes I think that it may be better that my grandmother died and I knew nothing of her personal beliefs. I would either hate her or see her degrade further and further into being senile and frail and so...Death sounds much better than seeing that.

Soon I get to the urban areas after thinking it over and deciding to just get a bag with like 3 biscuits along with 2 drinks just incase I will be there for awhile, I mean the west side of the city where there are much more people walking and a more Urban and condensed area.

A car drives by and coupled along with a strong wind forces me to hold onto my scarf and I just slightly stumble over myself before regaining my footing and stopping.

I look up after recovering and I see red and blue lights reflecting off the snow and police clearing the area and yellow tape being put up around a certain area in the middle of the street.