10: Real Choi Parents

Daehyun looked on blankly as he witnessed the police taking down his wife's lifeless body, hanging from the ceiling fan. Her pale face and wide-open eyes left an indelible image. Two men carefully lifted her onto a stretcher, preparing to take her for forensic examination, although the scene clearly pointed to suicide. The officer in charge approached Daehyun, who was in a state of shock and denial.

"We're taking her for postmortem, but it's evident this was a suicide," the officer stated solemnly, trying to engage Daehyun.

Daehyun remained silent for a moment before responding. "Last night. My child is in the hospital, so I went to the office early this morning and then to the hospital to visit him."

The officer's eyes widened. "Why is he in the hospital?"

"My wife tried to drown our three-year-old son," Daehyun confessed, his voice heavy with anguish.

The officer paused, taking in this revelation. "Is that the reason she died? Do you know why—"

"Because of me, Officer," Daehyun interrupted, his voice breaking. "I blamed her for our son's condition. All she wanted was my love. I still love her, but I was so focused on Cheollie that I didn't even care—"

Before he could finish, Daehyun broke down in tears, overwhelmed by guilt and sorrow.

"Don't blame yourself, Mr. Choi," the officer said gently, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry for your loss, but I hope you'll take care of your child."

In the days that followed, Daehyun reached out to one of his closest friends, Gangtae, who had recently lost a child in an accident. He explained how his wife had been suffering from severe depression after the traumatic loss of their only child.

"Why should I help you, Daehyun?" Gangtae asked, his voice edged with skepticism.

"Because your wife would die without her son, and my Cheol would be left without parents," Daehyun pleaded earnestly. "Please, help me. I promise he will always listen to you."

"My baby Cheol!"

The woman exclaimed with joy as she hugged Seungcheol. Unlike his biological mother, her embrace was warm and genuine, making Seungcheol feel safe and cared for. "We are taking you home now, Cheol," the man said, smiling warmly as they carried him to their house—their home.

Seungcheol, now officially Choi Gangtae and Kang Misun's son, slowly adapted to his new life. They erased all traces of his biological parents, and he grew to love both of his foster parents equally. However, he couldn't help but notice that while his mother was affectionate, his father kept a bit of distance.

On his 18th birthday, Gangtae called Seungcheol into his office and showed him a photograph. It was of a couple where the man bore a striking resemblance to Seungcheol—doe eyes, big eyelashes, and dimples that mirrored his own features.

"Who are these people, appa?" Seungcheol asked, puzzled.

"They are your real parents. Your mother, Hana Kim, was Korean-American, married to your father, Choi Daehyun. You were born to them," Gangtae explained gently. "But when you were three years old, your mother tried to drown you in a fit of jealousy. This led to a tragic chain of events, including her suicide. Around the same time, our biological son passed away, and that's when we adopted you."

"My real mother tried to kill me?" Seungcheol asked in disbelief, struggling to process this shocking revelation.

"She was jealous that your father paid more attention to you than to her," Gangtae confirmed sadly, revealing the painful truth that explained his initial distance from Seungcheol.