Chapter 4

After I got home from the library, I decided to paint my fingernails. I was sitting on the floor in my bedroom. I carefully painted my nails a light blue. While I was waiting for them to dry, Chelsie called. I cautiously picked up my phone with my wet nails, trying not to smudge the polish.

"Hey," I answered. "What's up?"

"Hey! So, Elena, Jacklyn, and I were about to go bowling. Do you want to join?" Chelsie's voice came through the line, vibrant and full of energy.

Elena and Jacklyn were Chelsie's friends from our school. I didn't know them that well, but the idea of going out and doing something social sounded much better than being home alone with my thoughts.

"Bowling sounds fun! Count me in," I said.

"Yay! It's going to be so much fun," Chelsie squealed.

"So, what time are you guys going?"

"In an hour, do you want us to pick you up?"

"No, I'll drive."

***

When I got to the bowling alley, Chelsie, Elena, and Jacklyn were already there.

The bowling area was dim, but the furniture and lanes glowed neon colors. The walls were filled with retro-themed posters, depicting iconic bowling moments in the sport's history. Pop music played in the background. There were fourteen bowling lanes and most were in use. In the past, Chelsie, Hope, and I would come right when it opened in the mornings when there was usually no one here. Today it was much livelier.

"Frankie!" Chelsie greeted me.

I couldn't help but feel awkward. I had never actually talked to Elena and Jacklyn before. They were both on the volleyball team at school. Chelsie met them last year through the yearbook club.

"Are you good at bowling?" Elena asked, breaking the ice.

I chuckled nervously. "Haha...no. I'm terrible at it."

"Same. I'm always getting gutter balls," Jacklyn said.

I felt a sense of relief wash over me, knowing I wasn't the only one who lacked bowling skills.

"Let me go get my shoes. I'll be right back."

I walked up to the counter to get my bowling shoes. A guy, Griffin, from my school, was working behind the counter. He was a tall guy with dark hair and green eyes. He was in a couple of my classes last year, but we barely spoke.

"Frankie, how's it going?"

"Good. I'm bowling with Chelsie, Elena, and Jacklyn. How are you?"

"I'm fantastic. Shoe size?"

"Size 7."

While typing on the cashier screen, he asked, "You were at Hope's party, right?"

"Yes. Were you there?"

"Yeah, I saw you dancing."

I let out a small laugh, feeling a hint of embarrassment. "Oh no."

"You looked good." Griffin smiled.

"Thank you," I smiled back.

I wasn't sure if he was flirting or just being friendly.

"I'll go get your shoes."

After paying and getting my bowling shoes, I walked back to the girls.

"I'm back!" I sat down and put on my shoes.

"Yay!" the girls cheered in unison.

"I didn't realize Griffin worked here."

"I think he just started for the summer," Elena said.