Chapter 9

Chelsie and I entered Serenity Heights. I walked to the desk to check in, but the lady was on the phone. While we waited, Chelsie looked around the room.

"This place seems so calming and luxurious, yet creepy," she whispered.

"Creepy? I don't find anything about it creepy." I thought the waiting room was quite comfortable. Today they even had chocolate chip cookies on a small table and mini bottles of water.

"You know when something is too perfect that it's a bit creepy?"

Just then, the lady got off the phone.

"How may I help you?" she said with a giant smile.

"We are here to see Talia," I answered.

"Oh my, didn't you hear?" the lady's smile dropped.

"Hear what?"

Chelsie and I exchanged a quick, stunned glance. I was too late. I had a funny feeling in my stomach. I just knew it wasn't a natural death.

"How did she...?"

"I can't say too much. They are still investigating, but apparently, she had been acting quite unusual the day before, and her neighbors heard her screaming her brother's name. The whole thing is very sad."

Chelsie and I left the building, standing together in the parking lot. Chelsie wrapped her arms around me in a comforting hug.

"I didn't know her for long, but she seemed like a sweet lady," tears poured down my face.

I was surprised by how emotional I was. I know I only knew Talia for a short time, but she was a relative of mine, and I wish I had gotten to know her more.

"She seemed very smart as well. Her theory about the necklace was right," Chelsie pointed out.

"Yeah. She was adorable too. She would get all dressed up when I visited. I wish I had gotten the necklace to her faster. Then she may have still been alive." I wiped away my tears.

"No, Frankie. Don't blame yourself. You are not responsible for her death."

While I knew her words were true, a pang of lingering guilt remained. I had survived while Talia had not. The necklace had been her idea, her lifeline, and yet I was the one who had reaped its benefits.

When I got home, I saw my mom standing by my bathroom. She had her hand on her hip.

"Frankie, what happened to the mirror?" she asked.

When Amalia had disappeared, the mirror had cracked. I was so excited that everything was back to normal that I had forgotten about the broken mirror.

"Ummm," I couldn't think of an excuse.

"This is the second mirror that you've broken." She was referring to the mirror downstairs that I had hit with a hammer when Amalia attacked me.

"So actually, it was for one of those silly, dumb social media challenges, but it will never happen again," I lied.

"A social media challenge?"

"Yep."

"I was worried it was because of another reason."

"What reason?" I asked.

"The thing is your grandfather hated mirrors. This was around the time when he wasn't thinking clearly."

"Oh... well, I ...I love mirrors," I spoke without thinking.

"You love mirrors?" she questioned.

"Yep. What would the world be without them," I continued.

She looked confused.

"Mhmm... okay. Don't break another mirror," she eyed me.

"I promise," I forced a grin. I was a terrible liar.

As my mom walked away, I let out a sigh of relief. My attempt at deception had been far from flawless, but it seemed she was willing to let it slide.

I stepped inside the bathroom and saw The Merlot Necklace still sitting on the counter covered in black goo. I rinsed the goo off in the sink. I carried the clean necklace to my room. I looked under my bed and grabbed my shoebox. It was a shoebox full of items that were attached to special memories. These were items that I didn't want to lose.

I placed the necklace in my shoebox and stashed the box back underneath my bed.

A few minutes later, my phone rang. It was an unknown number, so I decided to decline the call.

I soon got a text message from the same number saying: 'Hey, it's Colin White. I got your number from Talia and would love to speak. Call me back when you can.'

I remembered Talia mentioning Colin. She said he was one of the head researchers who studied the takers.

I called the number back.

"Hey, is this Frankie?"

"Yes, hi."

"I was calling because I heard you had an encounter with a taker, and I heard you purchased The Great Merlot Necklace."

"Yes, I did. I actually used it, and it works. The taker disappeared."

"That is amazing! Talia told me about it, but I wasn't sure if it would work. Listen, we have a very tiny support group with people who have seen takers. We are having a meeting soon. I would love for you to join us."

"Of course!"

"And could you bring the necklace? I wanted to look at it and see if it is something we can duplicate."

"Yep. I can."

A selfish part of me wanted to keep the necklace all to myself.

"Thanks, Frankie! I look forward to meeting you."