Chapter 5

Since the funeral, there has been an overwhelming silence throughout the house. My parents hadn't talked much.

"Hey," she murmured softly.

"Hey."

"How are you holding up?" she asked.

"Fine," I responded. I wasn't sure if I was being entirely honest. "How about you?"

"I'm okay." She seemed worried. "I know we didn't get to talk about it because I was so busy with the funeral and everything, but what made you reach out to your grandfather?"

"I don't know. I guess I missed him," I lied. I could not tell her about Amalia. I saw how they treated Grandpa when he told them he saw a ghost. They ostracized him. They did not believe him and thought he was going crazy.

"Hmm... and that is the only reason?" Her raised eyebrow held a hint of suspicion.

I ate a spoonful of cereal as I contemplated my response.

"Why did you keep him from me? From us?"

She looked down and then back at me.

"We had to do what was best for his health and for this family."

"You thought he was insane?" I frowned.

She hesitated. "He wasn't in the best mental state, Frankie. He needed help."

"Help? You didn't help him. Do you want to know what I think? I think that you didn't want to have to deal with him, so you two got rid of him. You sent him away. You never even visited him to see how he was doing!"

"You're upset."

"Of course, I'm upset. He felt betrayed and isolated."

"Serenity Heights is a good place, Frankie. I'm sure he made friends."

"He needed family!"

I touched my cheek and felt a teardrop. My mother's hand gently rested on my shoulder, an attempt at comfort.

"I know you're upset right now. I know you won't believe it, but we only wanted the best for him."

She was right. I didn't believe it.

My mom got up from the table. I finished the rest of my cereal and put the bowl in the sink. I then picked up the cereal box to put it back in the pantry. While in the pantry, I saw the edge of an envelope sticking out. I grabbed the envelope and realized that it had my name on it. I opened it. There was a lot of money and a letter from Grandpa. That is strange. He must have secretly put it back here when he was at the house.

I read the letter carefully:

Dear Frankie,

I hope this letter finds you. I wanted to write this because I know I don't have much time. Amalia gets stronger every day, but don't give in to fear. She feeds on fear.

Love,

Grandpa Will

He knew. He knew that he didn't have much time to live. He knew how serious the threat was. He mentioned Talia, the lady I had read about in the library. I needed to talk to Talia now. She was the only one who could possibly help me.

I was even more afraid now that I had removed the newspapers from the mirrors before my parents came home. I closed my eyes whenever I passed a mirror. It seemed to work so far, but I couldn't keep this up forever.

"Mom, I'm going to Chelsie's!" I yelled from downstairs.

"Okay, have fun and be safe," she responded from upstairs.