Chapter 63: Hayloft II

TW // injury, near death, panic attack, brief self-harm at the very very end

ur gonna wanna listen to the song with this one

A6d sprinted the other direction, barely missing all the fucking ground obstacles trying to trip his feet again. Fire alarm fire alarm I have to find one- why isn't it going off?! Don't they detect fucking smoke?! Don't tell me she fucking disabled-

A shock of pain rocketed through his body like an ice pick. A6d fell hard on the ground and curled up with a cry. It was like being stabbed again. He exhaled quick, short breaths, desperately looking for something nearby to help. All he saw was smoke creeping over the ceiling and blurring the light from the EXIT sign.

Exit! How tf is everyone going to get out?! He looked forward down the clear hallway. Another exit, that's where she was going. Fuck, how far is it? WHERE ARE THE FUCKING ALARMS?!

I'll be the fucking alarm then for fucks sake! "FIRE! THERE'S A FIRE!"

A girl came out of the bathroom ahead, lipstick in hand. Her eyes went from a6d on the floor to the flames licking the walls behind him.

"Oh shit! There's an actual fucking fire!!"

"YEAH!"

"OH MY GOD!" She ran the other way screaming.

"Well, that'll get everybody out I guess." Vin was talking to himself because he was about to die. But dammit if he didn't die trying.

He pushed himself to his feet again with a scream.

The smoke was coating his mouth and lungs with every breath, so on second thought it might've been better to stay low, but that was too slow. The flames were spreading too fast. It wasn't normal. None of this is normal.

He made his way in front of the flames and rolling heat until he heard footsteps and lifted his head. A panicked group of students ran towards him and skidded to a halt when the ones in front saw the fire.

"The exit is blocked, you have to go the other way!" Vin coughed. "Turn around!"

They ran into each other in desperation to get away from the fire and some were still trying to get to the main exit.

"There's not a way out that way! Merde..." Vin slid down the wall, coughing and too weak to stand anymore. Smoke filled the hall so much he couldn't see anyone clearly.

Someone shouted that they were trapped, the fire had consumed the hall on the way to the back exit. Some people screamed and others just cried, hugging themselves as the fire got closer and closer.

No, we can't give up. Vin coughed hard; it felt like his throat was bleeding. I wish I called my parents today. I wish I made up with Skeppy and Bad.

Someone shouted that the court was still clear and they could go around the hall, causing a rush to get there through the side door.

"Hello?" Vin's head was starting to fall against his shoulder. Smoke burned his eyes and lungs.

"Wait!" Someone cried out. "Stop! Hey!" It was distant but it got closer.

"Are you okay?" Hands pulled Vin's head up. "Leigh!!"

"Oh my god." Someone else bent on his other side and lifted his shoulder over theirs. "We'll get out, don't worry."

"It's a6d! It's a6d," the first person said. Vin saw a blur of pink and white.