Chapter 1: What have I gotten Into?

Today's the day. Moving day. Ruby Bennett is off to live on her own for the first time!!

Ruby: A new life! I can be anyone I want!!

Young voice: But will you still be my friend?

She turns around from lacking to see a young blonde girl, no older than 6

Ruby: Don't worry Kayla, you'll always be my friend.

Kayla runs up and hugs her sister's legs. She pets her hair.

Ruby: I'll be back for Thanksgiving break, and during Christmas.

Kayla: And calls?

Ruby: Ask mommy, and I'll always answer if I can.

They share a long hug together.

Everything else felt like a blur. Getting everything packed, saying goodbye to her parents, and driving off to her new apartment. It felt like 5 minutes tops, but it was 2 and a half hours, if you count all that happened after talking with her sister.

Her new place wasn't the fanciest, but it also wasn't run down. Rent was good but mainly because she's sharing a room with a lot of others. Right in front of it is a large park full of walkways for anyone to travel across, trees of different shapes, colours and plants varying as if it were a botanical garden.
A large fountain stands tall in the middle of it, where the legend of ages gone by still goes that "If you are the lucky one, your coin tossed in shall grant you a wish"

The building itself had previously been renovated about a decade ago to serve as a new set of apartments for new residents arriving. It was also a good place for young adults attending the university 15 minutes down the road

As She pulled near the entrance to the underground garage, Ruby felt a sense of anew. Something she had never felt before. Though she couldn't tell if that was good or bad, she knew that it was something that she would be expecting.

She drove to her allotted spot, got her stuff out, made her way out to the parking lot and walked to the front door.

As she entered, she saw a girl standing at the lobby desk talking on the phone. She was wearing a particular hoodie of 5 colours (red, blue, pink, yellow, green) with a round yellow figure in the middle and the back being fully yellow. She then typed stuff into the computer at the desk and then continued to talk on the phone

???: 500 DOLLARS?!?! ARE YOU JOKING?!?!

Random sounds came from the phone. They sounded like the parents from Charlie Brown.

???: *Inhales and Exhales* Fine, but MAKE SURE we get the next available appointment.

More Charlie Brown parent sounds from the other side of the phone. Ruby then slowly approached the desk and put on a smile.

Ruby: Hi I'm looking for a...

She checks her paper again, and realized she's horrible with names

Ruby: Marine? Marie? Marya?

???: Maria?

Ruby: Maria!! Sorry I'm the worst with names

Maria: No worries. So how can I help you then?

Ruby: Well I just arrived, and have no clue where I'm supposed to go, since I'm new here.

Maria: Oh right, give me one sec.

She goes through her piles of stacked paper

*Spongebob narrator voice* A short while later.

Maria: Here we go. I have the organization skills of... a shark? Yeah, let's just go with that.