Chapter 2: To Live is a Wonderful Blessing

January 2, Unified Year 1900

Imperial Palace, Berlun, The Empire

'...Huh'

Hildr stood there, more astonished than at any point in her life; Her brows furrowed in confusion, her green eyes staring inquisitively. She resisted the urge to scratch her head, barely giving in to the temptation; the brunette reasoned that it was impractical anyway as she was currently wearing a head cover

Doctor Hildr Eir Degermark is a young native Danfolk pediatrician specializing in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, famous in the medical field for being a talented female doctor; While Imperial society has and continues to strive for meritocracy and equality, there are substantially fewer women in Professional Healthcare and Medicine than men.

This however, did not stop a young Hildr from proclaiming to her entire family that she wanted to become a doctor, being inspired by her brother and father who were local General Practitioners in her home municipality of Frederickburg in the city of Kaupanhaven, Danmǫrk's Capital City. Her mother Ulla was not enthusiastic to say the least, repeatedly telling her that "the world of doctors is too dangerous for a young maiden" and that she should instead "find a good man to take care of you".

In spite of her mother's discouraging words, the fiery passion in her heart never waivered. Ever since she witnessed her father and his assistant midwives help deliver the child of her neighbor so long ago, she knew what she wanted to be in the future.

It was fortunate then, that her father, Frode Degermark, has always been supportive of her; In fact, he taught her how to perform basic emergency treatments on minor wounds and illnesses when she was just a child, and enrolled her into the Medical University of Kaupanhaven where she graduated as the valedictorian of her class. Big brother Thorvald was also very encouraging and told her to chase her dreams, promising to help her at every step of the way. With their enthusiastic support, and the reluctant acceptance of her mother, she moved to Berlun to provide her services to people, particularly pregnant women in need of assistance.

In the years since she left her home, she gradually became a renowned figure who even began having patients from nobility, affluent industrialists, and powerful politicians who have heard of her skills in managing childbirth and complicated pregnancies, thus making her wealthy as a result; unknown to the young doctor however, a far greater destiny awaited her.

The moment she received this elaborate envelope, containing a beautiful letter emblazoned with the seal of the Imperial Family itself...well, Hildr knew that she had reached the zenith of her career. She almost squealed like a young maiden in excitement upon discovering that His Imperial Majesty the Kaiser himself had asked for her in aiding the Kaiserin for the birth of who would soon be the newest prince! She packed her equipment and personal belongings as fast as she could, rushing to the Imperial Palace as soon as possible to meet the Royal couple.

After a friendly greeting from them both, she was carefully instructed to prepare for the arrival of the baby, being told to coordinate with other trusted medical personnel who were also specifically called for this event so that they could all get ready.

Soon the big day came, and how utterly exhausting it was! Starting from exactly 1600 Hours until midnight the next day, the procedure was the most demanding task she had ever encountered in her lifetime; every minute was incredibly stressful because she and her team were constantly worried for both the mother and her child.

She could not even begin to describe the sheer relief she felt when she brought the little boy into the world, she thought to herself 'Wow, how very precious this tiny infant is'.